Best ways to check broken links

Nytshade

If you're using wordpress then you can check out Broken Link Manager, that's if you want to check broken links on your own website.

For external websites then you can use a browser addon like Check My Links for chrome and LinkChecker for firefox, but most of these tools will allow you to check a webpage not the entire site.

For an entire external site, then I would recommend you to outsource the process.

elcidofaguy

For that I use Xenu! Its super awesome - free, fast and reliable... Probably one of the best written software that I've come across and gets the job done with crawling an entire website....

Mark007

I think Google disavow service also provides result for broken links for your website. I haven't used it though, but have heard in other forums that it helps to list the bad backlinks as well as the broken backlinks for your website.

Glenn Kilpatric

I think Google disavow service also provides result for broken links for your website. I haven't used it though, but have heard in other forums that it helps to list the bad backlinks as well as the broken backlinks for your website.
Google disavow is only for remove badbacklinks, it is not for checking bad backlinks on your site. Am I wrong?

Mark007

Google disavow is only for remove badbacklinks, it is not for checking bad backlinks on your site. Am I wrong?

Google disavow uses only to disavow backlinks for your website. It doesn't help to remove your backlinks from the source webpages. They only keep them aside and do not consider the backlinks for their search engine algorithm. You need to get them removed by contacting the webmasters individually.

elcidofaguy

In order to clarify - It looks like some confusion between Google Disavow and Google Webmaster Tools (GWT)...

You can also check for broken links within GWT as follows:

To view the broken links to your pages and the source URL for them:
  1. Log into Google Webmaster Tools and access your site (you have to be verified as a site owner).
  2. Click Web Crawl from the Diagnostics tab.
  3. Click Not Found to view the URLs that return 404 errors.
The Google Disavow Tool is also accessed within GWT - but this is different to detecting broken links on your website. The disavow tool removes toxic backlinks which can cause an algo penalty such as penguin. I can see the confusion as both tools are accessed via Google's Webmaster Tools...

If you're using wordpress then you can check out Broken Link Manager, that's if you want to check broken links on your own website.

For external websites then you can use a browser addon like Check My Links for chrome and LinkChecker for firefox, but most of these tools will allow you to check a webpage not the entire site.

For an entire external site, then I would recommend you to outsource the process.

Those are some great name, I will try to search and applying for my websites. Anyway I like using external service that reporting broken links on my website than using a plugin, because it can consume resource for my websites.

Create a account over seositecheckup.com place your link and analyze it you will get complete report for your website.

I am checking this site, thanks for sharing!

For that I use Xenu! Its super awesome - free, fast and reliable... Probably one of the best written software that I've come across and gets the job done with crawling an entire website....

I will try to check it out. Thanks!