Why Double Opt-in isn't Required...EVER

eMonetize

Everyone has their opinion as to which is better and why. However, there is no reason to ever run double opt-in...in my opinion.

There is no reason why you can't send your own confirmation email and then move those that click (confirm) to a separate campaign for those that confirmed.

With many ESPs having automation features, you can move a user based on clicking a link. If you can't you could create custom script that collects the email and moves the user or at worst, manually do it.

Technically, you don't even have to send a confirmation email. You could send a message with a link that should be clicked on. Link for you bribe.

You could also confirm based on opening instead of click. If you want to be more lenient.

Lastly, if you are proving a bribe, tell the user on your squeeze page that it will be sent to the email they enter. So they know entering in a fake one isn't going to work.

By doing the above, you can can build a list of both and test and see if you are leaving money on the table using double opt-in.

Also, if someone doesn't confirm using whatever method you choose, you can resend the message.

Just my 2 cents.

Storm

There is no reason why you can't send your own confirmation email and then move those that click (confirm) to a separate campaign for those that confirmed.
So then it would be better to have two separate lists? One for the single opt and one for the doubles?

eMonetize

I was just saying that for those that think that double opt-in is the only way to go, that there are other options. Also for those that single opt-in is the best, they can test and not lose those that don't confirm.

Either way, you could test and see which makes the most financial sense for you.

Last edited:

Dean

Either way, you could test and see which makes the most financial sense for you.
Great advice and this is something that I always like to do when I am trying to figure out what is going to work best for any particular situation. I think that a lot of people are missing out on opportunities because they just set things up and don't take a little time to test to see if one way is better for them or not.

Cheers, Dean.

Storm

I was just saying that for those that think that double opt-in is the only way to go, that there are other options. Also for those that single opt-in is the best, they can test and not lose those that don't confirm.

Great points and i'll have to give that a try myself. I never really though about checking one method versus the other.

Is there one that is better in your personal experience, single or double? Just based on your experience since you know way more about this then I do.

ulterios

Personally I have used both single and double opt-in's and see both good and not so good results with both. I think that you should always do testing for your particular niche to see what works best for your situation.

It also depends a lot on your target audience and also perhaps the age group. I know that sounds weird but sometimes younger or older people will be more or less likely to do something.