Promotion methods for a new website?

Drewdude1992

I bought a domain and wanting to start a new listing website. It allows any user who wants to sell his website or domain to register on the site and list the domain/website for free. Will this type of this niche work and give revenue?

Could you guys guide how can I gain more visitors in the area of domain and website sales? Should I use Twitter or Google+ for targeted traffic?

PTTed

I bought a domain and wanting to start a new listing website. It allows any user who wants to sell his website or domain to register on the site and list the domain/website for free. Will this type of this niche work and give revenue?

Could you guys guide how can I gain more visitors in the area of domain and website sales? Should I use Twitter or Google+ for targeted traffic?
How do you intend to generate revenue from the site? You said the listings will be free, but you didn't say how you intend to monetize the traffic.

There are plenty of people who want to buy or sell websites. There are also other well known sites that help people do that. How do you intend to make your website different than the existing websites? What will make people want to come to your website instead of the ones they are used to using?

Drewdude1992

How do you intend to generate revenue from the site? You said the listings will be free, but you didn't say how you intend to monetize the traffic.
Yes it is for posting free but some parts I can require paid listing, premium member ship to access special areas..etc.

How do you intend to make your website different than the existing websites? What will make people want to come to your website instead of the ones they are used to using?
That's the problem that I am facing and finding best ways to have traffic for it.

PTTed

Yes it is for posting free but some parts I can require paid listing, premium member ship to access special areas..etc.

That's the problem that I am facing and finding best ways to have traffic for it.

I don't think you and I understand each other completely. You didn't answer my questions. Let me rephrase them and ask again.

You said that your website is a place that allows website sellers to post their website for sale. And you said that your website is a place where website buyers could come to find a website for sale. Right?

There are other websites that already do this. What I am asking you is

1) What benefit does a website seller have for listing their website for sale on your site instead of some other place or in addition to some other place?
and
2) What benefit does a website buyer have for coming to your website to look for a website to buy instead of going to other well known sites to look for a website to buy?

If your website doesn't offer a big enough benefit to those people, then you are probably not going to be able to generate substantial traffic to your site, at least not enough to make the site successful.

If you are sure that your website does offer a big benefit to those two groups of people, then you want to go figure out where those two groups of people are spending time online right now, and tell them about the benefits your site offers them. Here is one way you could do that. Go to a website like Flippa. Make a list of domain names that are for sale on that site right now. Use Whois to lookup who owns those domains. Send an email to those domain owners telling them that your site exists and telling them how they can benefit from using your site.

If you think that people are going to want to use your site just because your site exists, you will probably discover that you are wrong. A small number of people might try your site simply because they want to test it or because they might not know other sites exist that do what yours does. But, unless your site offers a real benefit, something better than they can get from another site in your niche that they already know about, then you are going to struggle to get any meaningful amount of traffic from anywhere.

If you build a site that is useful enough for a specific type of person, then it is simply a matter of finding out where that person is spending time online right now, (like which blogs, forums or Facebook groups they are visiting regularly). Then you go there and join those places and start talking to those people. Or else you buy advertising at those sites so that they discover your website for the first time.

ulterios

This is going to be a tough niche to get into due to many reasons. Most people who buy domains and websites will usually go with a long established and trusted website. Sedo, Flippa and GoDaddy auctions are 3 of the top sites that you would be competing with.

As for the promotion, I would recommend being seen on the top domain and webmaster type forums to build trust and familiarity. You'll also want to do a lot of promoting on the social media websites as they can help drive some targeted traffic. Twitter would work real for this.

It's going to be tough to get a new marketplace website to sell domains and websites. I'm not saying that it can't be done, I am only saying that it's not going to be easy. ;)

Dean

There are so many domain selling websites that come and go all the time that this is not going to be an easy thing to succeed in. One of the keys for success for sellers of domains is the amount of exposure and eyes that you can get on your domain listings. As a smaller and new domain selling site it's going to be hard to get those and attract a lot of sellers.

One thing that I have seen for years on smaller domain selling websites is that many times the sellers don't keep their listings updated and removed when a domain is sold elsewhere so buyers will get discouraged when they find a domain that they are interested in and it's no longer available so you'll have to find a way for sellers to want to keep their listings updated.

I am not saying that this can't be done, just that it's not going to be easy and will probably require a lot of advertising and marketing to achieve a successful websites.

Cheers, Dean.

Maria Marketing

Promoting your new website will probably get good results using the social sites just like for most other types of websites. Try to find the social sites that have the type of people that you are wanting to attract and start promoting there. :)