Is SSL/HTTPS a must for your eCommerce website if you are using Paypal?

Dean

I am looking for some input on if you guys think that SSL/HTTPS is a must have for an eCommerce website if you are using Paypal for the payment processor.

I have a couple of websites that are eCommerce websites that do not use a SSL/HTTPS but the payments that customers are made through Paypal when they make the payment so their information is safe there.

I was wondering if I might be losing some sales because I don't have that on my sites and people see that one is not there. I have a statement that Payments are secured through Paypal but I don't know if maybe people might still be worried.

What do you guys think, is a SSL/HTTPS a must for your eCommerce website if you are using Paypal?

All opinions are welcome.

Cheers, Dean.

ulterios

I wouldn't say that it's a must as long as you are not collecting any kind of payment or other sensitive data like credit card numbers and so on but it would be preferred for many reasons.

A couple being that it can help instill trust in potential buyers, especially since many don't realize that you aren't having access to their payment information if you are using Paypal as the payment gateway as an example.

Another would be that there is a very small SEO benefit in having your site use the HTTPS protocol as Google has stated that it's now a ranking factor, even though it's said to be a small one.

So is one required? Not always but I will always recommend it for ecommerce sites every time. ;)