Can Social Media Be Too Much?

David Ewen

Some people I've talked to have told me they have gone on a Social Media Sabbatical and taken time away from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and others because putting attention on it has become too much? I've suggested HootSuite as a way to reduce keystrokes across multiple social media platforms and provide scheduling. Have you ever gone on a sabbatical to take a break from social media. Can social media be too much? Let me know.

Hostlumina

Social Media can for sure be too much!!! Specially with so many useful ones out there. It's all about balance I believe, yes there are many tools out there but once in awhile you need a good break from it to socialize physically (no no not that way - lol) but hang out with people and meet new people face to face.

Going sabbatical is not a bad idea. Might have to encourage it around here :)

PTTed

Some people I've talked to have told me they have gone on a Social Media Sabbatical and taken time away from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and others because putting attention on it has become too much? I've suggested HootSuite as a way to reduce keystrokes across multiple social media platforms and provide scheduling. Have you ever gone on a sabbatical to take a break from social media. Can social media be too much? Let me know.

I have found most social media platforms to be too inefficient time-wise for me. I get too little out of it for the time spent on there, especially Twitter. It seems that most people tweet just for the sake of tweeting and don't really bother curating what they are tweeting. So in other words, I follow their link to something they are suggesting I read. When I get there and read what they suggested, I end up thinking it wasn't worth my time reading it because I didn't get anything out of it. I think something like Twitter would be way more useful if people only tweeted the most "truly useful" or truly epic content.

I don't see that happening though. The reason I don't see it happening is because Twitter is used as a promotional tool. And when you are promoting your stuff or your friends' stuff you are going to want to promote everything not just the one or two pieces of content truly worth promoting. And if you have an army of followers, you are going to feel obligated to be tweeting often enough to maintain that active audience. So I get it. It is just too inefficient for me. I consider it mostly a waste of time. I would rather have real conversations with people like we are doing here.

I have taken numerous sabbaticals from social media. It seems each time I take one, the break gets longer. I am less and less motivated to go back to it.

MidnightAngel

socialize physically (no no not that way - lol) but hang out with people and meet new people face to face.

WAIT! WHAT? You think I should go out and physically meet and hang out with people? Now I'm just scared, can't remember how to do that!

Joking aside, I totally agree, because Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter can't be your maid of honor, fishing buddy, hunting buddy, hang-out-and-play-cards-buddy, that taking a break from social media can be a wonderful thing.

And you can quote me, Social Media will still be there when you take a night or two off. I swear!

ulterios

Too much of many things can be too much and it's going to be different for each person. Some people love to spend time on social media whether it's to do marketing, interacting, research or just chatting.

I tend to use it mostly for business and I automate some of the tasks like posting in particular. That can help from needing to spend too much time on the social media sites and getting burned out.

I haven't taken any sabbaticals from it yet, other than from using it for certain accounts for certain websites but in the future I can't tell for sure. I do know that some people get a little (or a lot) too carried away with it running most aspects of their lives! ;)

Traveler

Some people I work with live on the social media sites and think they will die if they are not posting and checking it regularly. Even people who are marketing things are obsessed with it sometimes. It's crazy that it can be so controlling for some people. If I ever get that way I will take a sabbatical myself.

Dean

Well I haven't gone on a sabbatical yet but I do know that social media can be too much in many ways. There is so much time that you must dedicate to it sometimes, it's influence can be very overwhelming, some people let it be in control over their lives, websites, social activities and other things and it can dictate your time needs way too often.

I will tell you that I sure wouldn't mind taking a sabbatical from social media and the break would be welcome, especially at times when I am very busy. LOL

Cheers, Dean.

I think that social media has too much utility to describe your business or work because at present most of the people are use internet and social network.