Windows 10

Hostlumina

So, today I got notification on all the PC's of the Windows 10 free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. It will be a 3 GB file and asks you to register to reserve your copy.

I haven't followed anything in regards W10. How about you? What are you thoughts on this new OS?

I am happy to see this offer to upgrade for free and it's looking decent from the brief reading I have done so far on it. Some of the new features I briefly read on.

- The Start menu is back again :)
- new improved snap windows (can't live without then)
- Very intrigue on the Holographic and Hololens support
- new browser

w10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Allenafaith

I've got the same thing. I hope when it does it my computer deosn't mess up because then I won't have a laptop anymore lol

PTTed

I haven't followed anything in regards W10. How about you? What are you thoughts on this new OS?

- new browser

I have been toying around with a Beta copy of Windows 10 for the last few months.

I don't think it much different at all from Windows 8.1 to be honest.

Yes the start menu is back, but its still not the same as it was in Windows 7 or previous Windows versions. This was the biggest sticking point I heard again and again and again from people who were forced to use Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 for whatever reason.

People want the normal desktop they are used to using and they want the start menu. The start menu isn't quite the same as it was before Window 8. The start menu pops up little square listings of programs instead of the normal detailed list of folders that you used to get in every friggin other version of Windows.

I honestly think that the people making design decisions at Microsoft are almost complete idiots when it comes to designing a product people actually want.

They should have stuck with Windows XP and just sold the software as an annual service that required a renewed license instead of completely redesigning Windows every few years. They could have perfected the Windows platform and still forced people to pay for updates very year or every few years or whatever.

MidnightAngel

So, today I got notification on all the PC's of the Windows 10 free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. It will be a 3 GB file and asks you to register to reserve your copy.

I am happy to see this offer to upgrade for free and it's looking decent from the brief reading I have done so far on it. Some of the new features I briefly read on.

- new browser

View attachment 2

I noticed mine last night too, and reserved a copy I guess according to my computer. It looks pretty good, but my problem with it and all the others that have come and go, is that normally when they 're brand new like that, they have bugs and fixes that haven't been eliminated yet. I hope that doesn't happen with this one. But we'll see...Can't wait to see what happens when we can all get our copies and start playing.

RDO Servers

I reserved mine a while back and I am I treated to play around with it.

A) Microsoft's new versions rarely impress me. Typically too much fanfair, not enough realistic benefits.

B) Free OS upgrade.... From Microsoft.... There HAS to be a catch coming somewhere!

I have been toying around with a Beta copy of Windows 10 for the last few months.

They should have stuck with Windows XP
I think XP was the best OS ever created. I hated moving to 7 because they quit supporting XP. Thanks for the info on 10. Appears that they created another loser.

I think XP was the best OS ever created. I hated moving to 7 because they quit supporting XP. Thanks for the info on 10. Appears that they created another loser.

I much preferred Windows 7 over Vista ;) I remember when Microsoft was building up all the hype over "Longhorn" and then when it launched it was a horrible fail. Remember how Vista computers were being sold with 1GB of RAM typically, and the recommended was 3GB? It was great for me in the tech field, made me a lot of money, but still...

Windows 7 was launched with the reliability, speed and functionality of Windows XP with the nice looks of Vista; I was impressed with 7. Then Windows 8 came along, and everyone was PISSED. No more start menu? Our laptops and computers aren't cell phones, why treat them like they are? So; they launched Windows 8.1 which gave your desktop back to you as the primary boot screen. Alright, fine and dandy, however still so many bottlenecks and the underlaying operating system is still trying to turn your PC/Laptop into a cellphone or tablet....

Windows 10 I am hoping will provide better functionality; however in the end, I still contemplate switching back to Windows 7.

Oh jeez, no doubt, Windows ME was a mistake just as Vista was. I hated them, but loved them also as I was charging $60/hour for repairs and reformats, pushing 4-6 computers a day billed @ 2 hours a piece (Gotta love good ol' slow IDE drives & sata1)

PTTed

Vista was crap!!! However, any of you remember Windows ME? Now that was a money maker for all the computer stores & techs. I remember having 5 to 15 PCs daily to pretty much format and re-install.
Those were the days.

I recall customers being pissed off because there were certain issues with Windows ME that just weren't fixable. And people could not grasp the reality that a company (Microsoft) would sell something so buggy. Such a giant piece of shit!

MidnightAngel

Anyone updating to windows 10 today or already upgraded?

Got a couple PCs alerting they are ready for the update as of 6am today. However will only be upgrading non essential computer to test it out for now.

Hey all! I just got my version downloaded last night, haven't played much with it yet. What' s everyone thinking so far?

Hostlumina

Personally, I think it has been great for me. I been using it on my personal laptop and it feels right. It finally has that balance for touchscreen and none touchscreen devices. I found windows 8 catering way to much towards touch devices.

The start menu is not as it used to be however once you get used to it, it's perfectly fine.

So far I have had only 2 issues.
#1 - I was unable to move the tiles. Oddly enough I found an odd fix that required you to press the "ESC" key about 3-4 times and the issue went away. This fix was hidden in a forum deep :(

#2 - Windows edge is not very stable. It has crashed and frozen couple of times up on using heavy browsing (8-10 tabs open).

ulterios

After having both an upgraded Windows 10 machine and one that came with Windows 10 and doing much testing on both, I can honestly say that the upgrade versions do not perform as well as the machines that came with Windows 10.

I know that there are many factors that contribute to this and the only reason that I make a reference to the two different as[ects of a Windows 10 machine is that if you judge Windows 10 based on an upgrade then you might be in for a surprise if you tried and tested on a Windows 10 native machine. There is a big difference in many areas!

Dean

I did the Windows 10 upgrade on a couple of my PC's, one had Windows 7 and the other one had Windows 8.1. After using Windows 10 for a few months I have to say that I was expecting more.

Right away there were issues with drivers and hard not working properly. Plus I guess with all the hype about it I was just expecting something that would blow me away and be amazing.

There has also been all kinds of little quirks and sometimes things don't work properly, which wasn't happening before the upgrades.

I do like the fact that the start menu is back. I don't like the fact that you can't turn off the automatic updates without doing a workaround.

Both of my computers actually performed better with their previous operating systems with the one exception and that is that the battery will last longer while unplugged which was a nice surprise.

Overall I think that Windows 10 still needs improvements to get it to where it should be. I will also say that Windows 7 is my favorite Windows operating system.

Cheers, Dean.