What differentiates .CO from .COM domains?

wiredtolive

Hi everybody,

Could someone please explain to me the differences in detail between .CO and .COM domains?
I get confused about this. Please help me clear out the problem

Thank in you advance for your assisting.

robertdn

Hi there,

.CO is used for particular countries while .COM is used for commercial websites worldwide and is based in the United States.

Most people prefer websites with .COM extension because it is considered the most unique and the best domain name for any website to have.

Dean

A .co domain is the country code domain for Colombia and a .com is a generic domain extension. Both can be registered by anyone and used for anything basically.

Shortly after the .co domain extension came out many people thought of and used as a replacement for a .com domain, some still do. The only thing is that people are creatures of habit and many will simply type .com in to a browser bar instead of .co, assuming that it was just a typo or the person just isn't paying attention and assumes it's a .com.

Cheers, Dean

ulterios

Many people get these two domain extensions confused. The .com is a Top Level Domain (TLD) and the .co is a Country Code domain extension for the country of Columbia although they have no restrictions on who can own them.

If you go with a .co domain there will be many people that will type .com by default assuming that it's a typo and is missing the "m" from ".com", so you have to be aware of that if you use that extension.

KeralMTG

I have been looking at these 2 domain types for my new blog and all the good names are gone in the .com but some are still there in the .co but the renewal prices are very much higher for .co. Also people might thing .co is an error like others said.