What are some red flags for freelancers?

MidnightAngel

I've posted this on wms as well, I hope that's okay? IF not let me know. Here's what I wonder,
I know that there are several legitimate Freelance websites out there, and I am even on a few, what I wonder is: While hunting for work on freelancer websites, are there certain red flags that you look for? You know maybe something like 'too good to be true' stuff? Or maybe certain countries you avoid for various reasons? I assume that the reputable sites screen the people that are looking to hire freelancers, and most are legitimate I'm sure, but there's always bad ones in the bunch. What are good things to look out for to newer freelancers like myself? Any advice or tips you can come up with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
:Computer:

sam.hunt0710

according to my experience on freelancer-com most of the projects are third party projects which means job posters got that job from other freelancing sites and some times from freelancer too . They post that project as there indiviudal project at lower price , now here comes the red flag as this project is not from the original poster there will be communication gap between you , sub contarctor and original client , such kind of projects can harm your repo if any dispute occurs. You can not distiniguish scammers they can be from any country.

animeshe14

Hi, MidnightAngel.

I am also a newbie freelancer and have been bidding for jobs online for about 4 months.
I have already seen various scams in freelance websites which thankfully I didn't fall for.

Here are what I commonly see jobs that are scams look like:
1. They ask you to pay a fee to start work (admin. fee, training fee and other fees) . I have already ask this before in the
forum and experienced freelancers has told me this is obviously a scam. https://www.internetmarketingstar.com/threads/do-you-have-to-pay-to-earn.755/
2. Data entry jobs or typing jobs with little or no details.
3. Repetative post with the same content.
4. Beware of customers with no verified payment option usually in freelancer. Most of them
are just bogust post.
5. Captcha entry jobs. Tried this before but never been paid even once by my client.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: ims

MidnightAngel

I have seen many of the ones you've mentioned, and skipped over them. So the no verified payment method is good to avoid? That is good to know, thank you for that. I wondered about that.