Short or Long blog post titles for SEO

KeralMTG

which is best for our blog post titles to have the best SEO. Is it better to have short blog post titles or longer titles?

Catherine1

I read that you want to have the proper titles to help people and search engines know what your blog post is about and that you should have the keyword in the title that you want the article to help get ranked for. I don't know how much of that is true but it sounds reasonable.

Dean

You want something that is going to catch the attention of your potential readers as the main factor. After that you'll want to keep it relatively short but not too short.

You are going to want to try to have the relevant keywords and/or key phrases in the title as well.

It's hard to give an exact length because it depends on the article and the subject as well. Just concentrate on a title that will catch the attention of people when they read it in the search results or maybe on the social media websites.

KeralMTG

It depends on your article. But you must keep your title short and attractive. Don't make it too large until it is necessary. An ideal length of a title is 65 words max.
Isn't 65 words too long?

It's better to choose the title length between 50-60 characters. As Google displays only 50-60 characters in SERP. Inserting a keyword in the title would help bots to identify your blog and it also increases CTR.
Is is better to use just one keyword or is maybe two ok?

You want something that is going to catch the attention of your potential readers as the main factor. After that you'll want to keep it relatively short but not too short.

You are going to want to try to have the relevant keywords and/or key phrases in the title as well.

It's hard to give an exact length because it depends on the article and the subject as well. Just concentrate on a title that will catch the attention of people when they read it in the search results or maybe on the social media websites.
Is it better to find a keyword phrase that has a lot of searches to give a better chance of getting traffic from it?

Dean

Is it better to find a keyword phrase that has a lot of searches to give a better chance of getting traffic from it?
It is sometimes but often times those are highly competitive phrases that are harder to get a high ranking for. Sometimes it's better to use a keyword or keyword phrase that is less competitive because it's easier to get high rankings for them.

KeralMTG

It is sometimes but often times those are highly competitive phrases that are harder to get a high ranking for. Sometimes it's better to use a keyword or keyword phrase that is less competitive because it's easier to get high rankings for them.
Ok I see now. I think I saw a website that tell how competitive certain keywords are. I will check to see.

Storm

I think it depends on what the subject of the post is about. You want to keep if from being too long but long enough to be descriptive and say what the post pertains to and also make the title a little teaser so people want to click on it in the search results or social sites.

JennyJ

I always try to keep them short and to the point while at the same time using the keywords I want in them and trying to make them attractive to people so they want to see the post.

KeralMTG

I always try to keep them short and to the point while at the same time using the keywords I want in them and trying to make them attractive to people so they want to see the post.
Yes I always try to add words that will attract people to click and read my posts.

KeralMTG

It is does not depend on either short or nor Long keywords it is just the the keywords are the phasers that you use for the little of the blog must be meaningful it should be related to the website content.
So it can be long or short and it does not matter?

Traveler

I saw somewhere that short blog post titles are better for SEO but I can't remember where I saw that. It also said something about using a keyword and an enhancer word to draw the attention of people.

Words like "great, best, newest, top, free" or other words like that that catch the eye of people are good to include in the title.

KeralMTG

I saw somewhere that short blog post titles are better for SEO but I can't remember where I saw that. It also said something about using a keyword and an enhancer word to draw the attention of people.

Words like "great, best, newest, top, free" or other words like that that catch the eye of people are good to include in the title.
Yes that is a good idea. I am trying to do this now with all of my blog posts. Before my titles were kind of plain I think and not very attractive.

Traveler

Yes that is a good idea. I am trying to do this now with all of my blog posts. Before my titles were kind of plain I think and not very attractive.
People like to see things that stand out or makes them want to look at something so you always want to have something that stands out in the search results.

KeralMTG

People like to see things that stand out or makes them want to look at something so you always want to have something that stands out in the search results.
Yes I found a list of words that are good to put in your blog post titles and they are to help people to want to click and read your post. I am trying them out on my blog posts.

ulterios

The length of your blog posts titles really doesn't have anything to do with SEO, it's what is in the title that matters. You want to have your title have an appropriate keyword or two, say what the post is about and something that will make people want to read the post.

Length of a blog posts title is not a ranking factor itself.