PC or MAC for online work?

Maria Marketing

I have a question for you guys. If you have ever used both a PC and a MAC for working online, which one do you prefer to use for that?

A friend of mine just fixed my old MAC that has been down for several months and while it was down I was using a PC that I had. I kind of got used to how things are done on the PC so now switching back seems a little strange and I just don't feel like I am able to get as much work done since it seems a little odd now.

I am trying to decide which I should stick with and was wondering if anyone who has used both finds one easier to work on than the other.

Maybe this just seems a bit strange to ask but I have been thinking about which to stick with and thought I would get some opinions.

Let me know what you think. :)

Ben

I have both of these myself and also have a PC at work. What I would recommend is just using what you are the most comfortable with and which one seems to be the easiest to get things done on. One or the other really makes no difference as long as the one you use is the one that you like best.

Maria Marketing

I have both of these myself and also have a PC at work. What I would recommend is just using what you are the most comfortable with and which one seems to be the easiest to get things done on. One or the other really makes no difference as long as the one you use is the one that you like best.
I am thinking the same thing but to be honest they seem about the same to me with usage in mind. I just did not know if there was any kind of benefit to using one or the other. Maybe one has better software for my use or something.

Muzzamil

I have a question for you guys. If you have ever used both a PC and a MAC for working online, which one do you prefer to use for that?

A friend of mine just fixed my old MAC that has been down for several months and while it was down I was using a PC that I had. I kind of got used to how things are done on the PC so now switching back seems a little strange and I just don't feel like I am able to get as much work done since it seems a little odd now.

I am trying to decide which I should stick with and was wondering if anyone who has used both finds one easier to work on than the other.

Maybe this just seems a bit strange to ask but I have been thinking about which to stick with and thought I would get some opinions.

Let me know what you think. :)
When it comes to online work, it doesn't really matter which one you use because the internet will stay the same and the website you browse/use will be the same.

TCoder

I always preferred PC's over MAC's. There is just way too much software that runs on a PC that don't have MAC versions that prevent me from even thing about switching. Most of the world uses a PC vs MAC. If I'm coding something, I want to make sure it works on a PC first, because that's what 99% of my audience has.

Dean

I would say that if you had a preference then I would just use that one but if you don't then maybe use whichever has the software (whatever it is) that you like and /or use the most on it.

Personally I always liked PC's for the sheer number of software and hardware options that are available over Apple products. Plus this is what more people use so there are other benefits for that reason.

Cheers, Dean.

Maria Marketing

I always preferred PC's over MAC's. There is just way too much software that runs on a PC that don't have MAC versions that prevent me from even thing about switching. Most of the world uses a PC vs MAC. If I'm coding something, I want to make sure it works on a PC first, because that's what 99% of my audience has.
Well on my PC I do have a lot more software like microsoft office that I bought and also some other programs. My MAC only has basic software.

Maria Marketing

I would say that if you had a preference then I would just use that one but if you don't then maybe use whichever has the software (whatever it is) that you like and /or use the most on it.

Personally I always liked PC's for the sheer number of software and hardware options that are available over Apple products. Plus this is what more people use so there are other benefits for that reason.

Cheers, Dean.
They seem about the same as for which I prefer. I have more software for the PC though.

ProfMike

I use both, but when it comes to creating video content I use a PC mainly because the software selection is so much better on the PC for creating and editing video.

The MAC on the hand has some great graphic utilities for creating graphics. So it is a combination of the two for getting the most productivity from what I am doing.

It is also good to be versed in both systems as I am never certain what types of systems my customers will be using. A few years ago that was not an issue but over the last few years I see more and more businesses moving to Macintosh systems and if I am trying to win over a contract with a customer it is always a good idea to walk into their meeting understanding their systems and the best way to use those systems. I am always surprised at how many of my competitors do not expand their knowledge in the hardware and how often they lose out on contract because they cannot respond to simple hardware questions.

Hard to gain credibility as a serious developer if you walk into a customer site and cannot even turn on their system.

Maria Marketing

I use both, but when it comes to creating video content I use a PC mainly because the software selection is so much better on the PC for creating and editing video.

The MAC on the hand has some great graphic utilities for creating graphics. So it is a combination of the two for getting the most productivity from what I am doing.

It is also good to be versed in both systems as I am never certain what types of systems my customers will be using. A few years ago that was not an issue but over the last few years I see more and more businesses moving to Macintosh systems and if I am trying to win over a contract with a customer it is always a good idea to walk into their meeting understanding their systems and the best way to use those systems. I am always surprised at how many of my competitors do not expand their knowledge in the hardware and how often they lose out on contract because they cannot respond to simple hardware questions.

Hard to gain credibility as a serious developer if you walk into a customer site and cannot even turn on their system.
Since you use both do you seem to like one more than another speaking of a personal choice? I have been thinking I am leaning toward my PC.

ProfMike

I not sure it is a question like more, or more a question of use more. I tend to use the PC more than the MAC. I think that is more because I have more productive software for the PC and the majority of my customers use PC's. When I am developing a customer site I want to try as closely as I can to duplicate their experience on the platform.

If they tend to use PC's, I will develop and test with PC's.

ulterios

I have always preferred to use a PC for several reasons and it's not because they are what I started out using, which were Apple computers from the 80's for those who would be curious, but because I have just used them a lot more and the availability of manufacturers, parts available as well as software available just make them the best choice to me personally.

It is usually just a preference thing as the differences are not as drastic as they had been in years past, or at least to me.

Personally Maria, I would just use which one you are most comfortable using and that is easier and more efficient for what you are doing. It's just personal preference for the most part. ;)

Maria Marketing

I not sure it is a question like more, or more a question of use more. I tend to use the PC more than the MAC. I think that is more because I have more productive software for the PC and the majority of my customers use PC's. When I am developing a customer site I want to try as closely as I can to duplicate their experience on the platform.

If they tend to use PC's, I will develop and test with PC's.
Just for someone like myself that is just using my computer for doing things online there is probably not any kind of added benefit of using one or the other is there? I mean that all I do is basic stuff and some minor things with a spreadsheet or word processor so one or the other should not have any benefit I do not think.

Maria Marketing

I have been using my MAC but the last couple of days it has been freezing and having startup times that are quite a bit longer than usual so I have actually been using my PC a little more. If the MAC doesn't get better I might have to retire it. :(

ulterios

I have been using my MAC but the last couple of days it has been freezing and having startup times that are quite a bit longer than usual so I have actually been using my PC a little more. If the MAC doesn't get better I might have to retire it. :(
Have you noticed any other issues that are going on with it? More hard drive activity than usual maybe?

ulterios

I have not noticed anything unusual but I have not been looking at things like that. I will see if I notice anything. Thanks :)
Another thing to look at is if you have an antivirus program on your computer. Sometimes they can have issues after an update. If you have one then one thing that you can try is to disable it and then try rebooting your system without it and do a little testing and using to see if that might be the culprit.

There are just so many things that it can be and it's hard to check more things without the machine in front of you, if you know what I mean.

Maria Marketing

Another thing to look at is if you have an antivirus program on your computer. Sometimes they can have issues after an update. If you have one then one thing that you can try is to disable it and then try rebooting your system without it and do a little testing and using to see if that might be the culprit.

There are just so many things that it can be and it's hard to check more things without the machine in front of you, if you know what I mean.
Yes I have an antivirus program on my computer. I did not think those would cause something like this though. I will try to turn it off if I can figure that out and see what happens. Thanks for the help. :)

ulterios

I did not think those would cause something like this though. I will try to turn it off if I can figure that out and see what happens.
Yeah, antivirus programs can cause this and I have been through that one myself in the past. Not all of them can make a big difference but some do. It all depends on the particular antivirus program, your computer and it's resources, other software on the computer and a number of other things.

Thanks for the help. :)
You are most welcome Maria.