Open Source or Custom CMS?

Sharon

I am owning some websites that built from open sources like wordpress or drupal.
Does Custom CMS have any advantages if compares with open Source ?

elcidofaguy

For me its hard to think of any other than the obvious customization which can meet special/specific needs which otherwise is not generally available with off-shelf approach...

That said with Wordpress and Drupal you also have tons of options for customization such as developing your own themes, plugins etc... As its open source you get the advantage of a large supporting community, tons of free stuff such as plugins, scripts, themes as well as paid professionally developed stuff - all of which you can leverage and enhance... Further these CMS are maintained and improved regularly such as security updates etc...

Tit for tat there is no doubt in my mind open source CMS such as Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla win hands down...

RDO Servers

I prefer custom development!

Then again, my background is in web development. Open source CMS's are great for keeping costs down and giving you a great platform to start with. You can literally install Wordpress, add a theme, and be up and running in less then an hour.

However, it all depends on what you need the site for. A custom developed site will be more secure (if it is done correctly) then a CMS, and you have more flexibility for changes in the future as you are not limited to the framework the site is built on. You also do not have to worrie about all of the bloat features that are included, but your not using.

elcidofaguy

I prefer custom development!

Then again, my background is in web development. Open source CMS's are great for keeping costs down and giving you a great platform to start with. You can literally install Wordpress, add a theme, and be up and running in less then an hour.

However, it all depends on what you need the site for. A custom developed site will be more secure (if it is done correctly) then a CMS, and you have more flexibility for changes in the future as you are not limited to the framework the site is built on. You also do not have to worrie about all of the bloat features that are included, but your not using.

My background also relates to database and software development so I can see why you would say that... ;-)

However there is nothing stopping anyone from custom developing open source CMS platforms such as Wordpress... You get the advantage of not needing to re-invent the wheel and further can rapidly put together very professional capabilities at a fraction of the cost... The sheer number of scripts, plugins, themes as well as supporting resources for me is the way to go... In addition security support is well maintained by the community as well as the fact there is nothing stopping anyone from implementing additional measures as you would if developing from scratch...