Learning how to write

Artemis _Knight

You don't need to be an expert in English grammar to learn how to write, sometimes a little bit of passion and imagination can lead you a long way. So for anyone interested in learning how to write excellent and entertaining stories then try my tips.

Develop a passion for reading. Before I started to learn how to write I first learned how to love to read. I like to read before but I started to love it after reading a Sydney Sheldon book. It was my door to the world of literature.

Improve your vocabulary. You can't actually write good stories or articles if you don't have a wide vocabulary but don't learn it by reading a dictionary. yuck! try by reading books and watching lots of good shows of TV. I actually learn new word better from watching television rather than from books. It is more entertaining that way.

Be creative and imaginative. I was always creative and imaginative as a child but it was leaning more on arts than literature. But even though that is the case that didn't stop me from imagining amazing stories inside my head which was later transfered to paper through drawing and then to text.

Experience the world. The best teacher for anything is experience. If you want to be an amazing writer then experience the world. Their is a difference in quality from things written through plain imagination from things written by experience. Experience give more flavor to your work and it allows your reader to form a more deeper connection.

Last edited:

MidnightAngel

Everything you've said is exactly how I learned to write as well. I am an avid reader, I prefer a few different genres, but sometimes I'll step out of my comfort zone and try something different. I've been making up silly stories since I was young, the monster in my closet, charlie my imaginary friend, what would happen if I were rich? and so forth. I got more into writing I believe in junior high when I was pining over a guy I had a crush on that didn't know I existed, and thus, the poetry began. I was terrible at art class, hated gym and math, but enjoyed English, spelling, creative writing, typing, word processing, and the rest is history.

I have a lot of stories that I've written purely from my imagination, some are published, some are not, and to this day I continue to write on a daily basis, whether in forums, as a freelancer or in my writing groups.

World experience does count, ALOT, I could never have written some of the things I write now way back when, and the internet of course had made things sooo much easier for writers that want to be published and learn new tricks.

Excellent post, I'm glad I came across it!

MidnightAngel

Hello to you as well, maybe someday we can talk about our ideas and refer each other to websites for writing. My best one is writing.com, it's my favorite, contests and the people there are great. And it's free,unless you want a big portfolio, then it costs points or money.

david smith

One needs to read more to write more and read better to write better. Once you have the research and knowledge about the topic, make a framework of the content and create a draft. The read and add value. Get it proofread from others, and if they offer some suggestions that are useful, then you may include it in your writing.

Marcos

I have never been a good writer myself but I have been improving over the years. The 2 things that I do that help me is to read many books or other reading materials and see how other writers present what they are writing and the other is just sitting down and writing things.

Just by doing these 2 main things I have improved very much from my writing skills from a few years ago.

Maria Marketing

These are some good points and I really like the one about improving your vocabulary. I see many blogs that have the same phrases repeated by the same author over and over and they use the same words all the time.

If they would just broaden their vocabulary that will really help the quality and uniqueness of their articles.

Ben

What has helped me to learn to write better was to write my posts and other things and then run them through a spell checker and grammar checker. Sooner or later you will see the mistakes you are doing and they will happen less often.

Dean

What has helped me to learn to write better was to write my posts and other things and then run them through a spell checker and grammar checker. Sooner or later you will see the mistakes you are doing and they will happen less often.
That's a great idea Ben. I usually just tell people to do a lot of reading and then kind of pay some attention on how things are worded, how things are spelled and so on.

I'll have to remember this one for the next time someone asks me or I see someone post something on this.

shilpa

Writing, in my opinion, is all about telling your stories, experiences, and success without going onto the subjective lines to much or being overly considered of grammatical structures or rules. Many writers have cultivated on creativity and descriptions rather than on the dogma that dictates well-written and structured writing. Well, some rules and structures are needed to be followed but not very strictly. Writing must come naturally, and it should never be forceful as it will kill the sentiments.

JoeMilford

I agree with the idea that the only way to become a good writer is to be an avid reader. In this way, you digest many different voices and this can help you to discern and to find your own voice. Also, your vocabulary will continue to expand and develop, and that is the mark of an excellent writer as well. You can make up for what you don't have in skill with your concepts and passion, and the longer you write, the better you get at editing and revision.

IdealMike

Yeah, well my theory is and always has been that if you want to be a better writer, become a better reader! In fact, in order to write, you need to do what? You need to learn to read first. And let me tell you something, you can by a lyrical genius or a famous author or poet, but you'll never stop learning to read. Whether it's coming across new words to expand your vocabulary with or it's finding new ways to say them! In order to do that you need to read. And by reading, you learn, you expand your vocabulary. Which then makes you go on to become a better, more well versed writer! :)

I like to read books that are outside of my comfort zone sometimes! Particularly those with long lost and forgotten or unheard of words. They're damned tricky to read. Like the Lost Book of Enki. Have you ever read such a book!? :D But very rewarding intellectually.

Another way you can become a better writer is by doing. You learn by doing. So if you want to constantly improve your writing skills (as well as how fast you can type/write). Most bloggers I know were abysmal writers before they started blogging. Fast forward 5-10 years and these days they are accomplished and respected bloggers and authors that have incredible writing skills.

I know because I'm one of 'em! :D

No, but if there's any take away for you from my words then they should be at the least:-
  • Read more to become a better writer such as books outside your comfort zone.
  • Learn by doing where doing is writing and challenge yourself to sharpen your skills.
  • Find inspiration from those that have gone before you and become successful (honestly you probably have better GCSE's anyway).
Compared to me anyway! :)

Mike.

JennyJ

I like to read books that are outside of my comfort zone sometimes! Particularly those with long lost and forgotten or unheard of words.
That's a great idea! I never thought of that and I usually don't read book like that but that is actually a very good point and it will help to broaden your vocabulary.

Thanks for bringing that up. :D

JoeMilford

I have never been a good writer myself but I have been improving over the years. The 2 things that I do that help me is to read many books or other reading materials and see how other writers present what they are writing and the other is just sitting down and writing things.

Just by doing these 2 main things I have improved very much from my writing skills from a few years ago.

Marcos,
I think that one can always improve as a writer. It is an ongoing and arduous process, and finding one's own original voice can be even harder, at times, than correcting grammar and spelling errors. I know that I am still working on all of these things, and these forums give me a vehicle to practice my writing on a daily basis.

Marcos

Marcos,
I think that one can always improve as a writer. It is an ongoing and arduous process, and finding one's own original voice can be even harder, at times, than correcting grammar and spelling errors. I know that I am still working on all of these things, and these forums give me a vehicle to practice my writing on a daily basis.
Yes I agree. I am finding it hard to write things for my blog posts for example but I have no problem taliking about things aloud. Someone mentioned using some kind of dictation program to write down what I am saying as I talk and it might be easier. It does seem a little strange to me though but I might try it.

augusta

Before I became a blogger and a content writer,I had always been lazy to write but when I saw my friend making money from writing, I had to re-think and learn very fast.

I think learning to write needs a good experience, have interest and passion to write and start writing regularly.

shilpa

Yes, writing is all about putting your knowledge and experiences down on a piece of paper or if you consider typing then it's about putting them on a web page.

I remember the time when I started. The online market for writers and freelancers was relatively new. Before that we used to write for newspapers, articles, and magazines. We did this on regular basis or as freelancers. The pay was average and there was always a shortage of good work. Now when the online market for writers, bloggers, content developers, an all, grew, then there was more job opportunities along with better pay perks. But the competition, as it is, was tough. But after a few years of struggling, the valuable information and knowledge that we attained gave us the talent to work online from home. This of course needed hardwork and effort. Many didn't possess Honor's degrees in English but still they were able to work as bloggers and guest posters. Some even were given the opportunity to work for famous brands. This shows that even without a professional level talent in English, people could find very good jobs in writing.

Ben

That's a great idea Ben. I usually just tell people to do a lot of reading and then kind of pay some attention on how things are worded, how things are spelled and so on.

I'll have to remember this one for the next time someone asks me or I see someone post something on this.
My writing has never been the best but using this little method has helped it improve a lot. I have a long way to go to improve but I am better than I was a couple of years ago.