Is Word press important for freelancers?

MidnightAngel

Okay, so I'm wandering around on different 'how to' freelancer sites and I've read a few times that WordPress is important to freelancers. I searched here first, before posting this. I have a wordpress site that I use for my adult blogs and such, but I don't understand if installing word press is important to freelancers and why? I didnt' set up the word press site, my boss did, so I'm a little clueless as to if I should have it on a freelancer site that I am building, and why I should have it?

Mark007

WordPress is an added advantage to your freelancing profile. You may either learn it or leave it for a later time depending on your skills and time. It would just improve your freelance portfolio and help provide you with more work online.

OsetriRosehart

Wordpress is an advantage for people, who have interest in blogging and as far as marketing is concern, you will need allot more than just wordpress. Wordpress is chunk or a part of total marketing world. Anyhow, knowing the wordpress is a definite advantage because allot of resources are available online and you can do great building websites, design websites, monetizing websites and stuff without knowing one word of programming.

Hostlumina

Well it depends what you are freelancing....

If you are a web developer, web designer, writing, etc... than learning WordPress would be a benefit due to it's popularity and you do not want to miss out on that market share of jobs for people who want or have a WP sites.

If you are freelancing, creating music per example WordPress would not necessarily be necessary for the musician. A nice HTML design with few song samples + links to the purchase of their music might just be enough depending on their business needs.

You need to look at WordPress as a tool and if it fits your needs. WordPress is not the internet nor the standard to the word wide web. It's a strong popular tool with a big user base. So, it comes down to will >you< benefit from it's features for what you do? no one can answer it but yourself in my personal opinion.

If someone is hiring a freelancer, I highly doubt they would be looking if you are using WP or not. It is your reputation/references and content of your site they will be looking at which will drive your sale of services.

PTTed

Okay, so I'm wandering around on different 'how to' freelancer sites and I've read a few times that WordPress is important to freelancers. I searched here first, before posting this. I have a wordpress site that I use for my adult blogs and such, but I don't understand if installing word press is important to freelancers and why? I didnt' set up the word press site, my boss did, so I'm a little clueless as to if I should have it on a freelancer site that I am building, and why I should have it?
There is no rule that says you have to use Wordpress for anything. But, if you are good at using Wordpress it could help you land more work and it could be useful for building your own website where you sell your freelancing services.

I have hired a lot of freelancers for a lot of different gigs over the years. Some of those gigs required the skill of knowing how to create Wordpress blogs or at least knowing how to publish on them. So some Wordpress experience was a prerequisite for hiring a freelancer in those situations. If you have zero experience with Wordpress then I would not have even considered you for those gigs.

Now, that is just one example. However, Wordpress has become so popular that you are going to see Wordpress experience being a prerequisite for a lot of jobs that are offered on places like Upwork. In fact, when hiring writers, a lot of employers will assume you know how to publish articles on Wordpress and do basic things like embed images, change titles and Alt tags, fill in the SEO fields for plugins like Yoast SEO for Wordpress, etc. Those things are becoming very common.

When employers look for a USA based freelancer, they are generally looking for a freelancer with a better skill set who is a little more talented than average. If they didn't want that increased skill set and increased mastery of the English language, then many of them would just hire from outside the USA for a lot less money. So being a freelancer based in the USA makes it even more important to upgrade your resume as much as possible.

Reactions: ims

Dean

I think that Wordpress is important for some freelancers but not all. I think that it matters what exactly you are freelancing at/doing. With the huge amount of Wordpress users out there these days if you are in a freelancing field that ties into Wordpress or blogging then Wordpress can be very important for your earning potential.

Again, this is going to depend on what type of freelance work you are doing.

Cheers, Dean.

ulterios

I think that having a WordPress website for your freelance work would only really be important if your freelance work was WordPress related. If you freelance work is in writing, SEO or something else that isn't specific to WordPress then having your own WordPress site really shouldn't matter.

Traveler

Wordpress has many users so that is why it can be important for freelancers but only if you are doing wordpress freelance work and jobs. If you do not do any wordpress freelance jobs then I do not think it matters much.

Maria Marketing

I think that if you are going to be doing freelance work on wordpress websites or things that are related then it might be a good idea but if you are not doing anything that has to do with wordpress then you will not need it.