Is using a keyword too many times bad?

Catherine1

I was reading that sometime people use a keyword too many times in an article and they can get penalized. Is this true or just something these people are thinking?

I have seen articles that are at the top of Google searches that use the same words over and over again and it's not hurting them obviously.

Dean

Yes using a keyword too many times can be bad for your rankings in the search engines and especially in Google. It's called "Keyword Stuffing" when you have the same keyword too many times on a page and/or throughout a website.

It is usually better to use a few different variations of a keyword instead of using the same keyword over and over although that can also be bad if you get carried away.

Traveler

No you do not want to use the same keyword too many times or google will penalize your rankings for your website. That is something that some people do to try to affect their rankings in the past and now google has caught on to it.

Only use the keyword as you would normally do if you were talking to someone is a good rule.

ulterios

You don't want to use the exact same keyword over and over as that's definitely not good for your site if overdone.

You can use variations of a keyword like @Smith-K mentioned as that is a good way to avoid overdoing the same keyword too much and helping to make things look more natural. ;)

Marcos

Years ago when we had websites we used to be able to use a keyword many, many times on a page and it would help us rank better. Now Google has gotten wise to that method and it can get your website penalized or even banned from their search index.

Catherine1

Yes using a keyword too many times can be bad for your rankings in the search engines and especially in Google. It's called "Keyword Stuffing" when you have the same keyword too many times on a page and/or throughout a website.

It is usually better to use a few different variations of a keyword instead of using the same keyword over and over although that can also be bad if you get carried away.
I see, thanks. That phrase sounds familiar. I think I have heard of it before but I can't remember where or for what.

Instead of using the same keyword too many times in the article you can add the different keywords of the same domain and the keywords related to the sub domain.
Are you meaning different words that are the same meaning on my blog?

Make sure that you try to control the keyword density of the keyword that you are trying to target. Also, see to it that you use variations of the main keywords. As long as the flow is natural it does not matter how many times the keyword has been used.
How do I control it? Is there some amount of times that is good to stay under?

Years ago when we had websites we used to be able to use a keyword many, many times on a page and it would help us rank better. Now Google has gotten wise to that method and it can get your website penalized or even banned from their search index.
I have been reading on seo more these days and I guess it seems to be that every time people find a way to cheat the rankings Google uses they find a way to stop it.

Marcos

I have been reading on seo more these days and I guess it seems to be that every time people find a way to cheat the rankings Google uses they find a way to stop it.
The search websites change their ranking algorithm when they find that someone knows how to cheat their system. They grow wiser by the day.

Catherine1

Yes that's comes under keyword stuffing. don't use keywords many times just use it according to percentage. Don't exceed keyword-text ratio 2% .
Really, that low?

I think that I better check some of my posts.

Catherine1

Yes it is bad for ranking.
Why is it bad for ranking? I have seen some of the top ranking pages do it and it is working for them.

Maybe because they are bigger sites Google will let them do it?

vishwa

Why is it bad for ranking? I have seen some of the top ranking pages do it and it is working for them.

Maybe because they are bigger sites Google will let them do it?

Yes, It is bad for SEO and will hurt your site. Using too much keywords are considered as keyword stuffing, which will harm your site. The bigger sites are doing it wisely and in limited number. You can read more about it here:- http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2012/03/21/dangers-of-keyword-stuffing

Catherine1

Avoid using same keyword too many time. Use LSI of the keywords.
I'm sorry, I don't know what LSI is. I haven't heard that and I don't know much about these things.

Yes, It is bad for SEO and will hurt your site. Using too much keywords are considered as keyword stuffing, which will harm your site. The bigger sites are doing it wisely and in limited number. You can read more about it here:- http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2012/03/21/dangers-of-keyword-stuffing
Thank you for sharing that. I will read it.

I really appreciate the help. I don't know much about SEO.

Raeann Bell

While this is more of an inexact science, the general rule of thumb is to include specific keywords no more than five times in a standard blog post. Anything else can be considered spammy to the reader and negatively impact the user experience. Google even warns against “repeating the same words or phrases so often that it sounds unnatural.”