Is it possible to rank on Google without meta title and description tag?

With using mete tage like

<title>page title</title>
<meta name="description" content="page description" />
It's the details on the page to tell Google what your site is about? but I'm wondering it is possible to rank on Google without using these tags?

Have you tried or it's a must on each page to optimize for good SEO?

All your inputs are appreciated.

Nytshade

Yes you can, but you'll rank for very low competition keywords. I know a guy in my niche who's using a free blogger and some of his content does rank without a title. But it looks ugly on google really (even on social networks) and I doubt it gets good clicks.

The title is not compulsory but it has its own benefits and the benefits outweigh the reason you might not want to have it. The description is the one that is optional.

Mark007

You can rank your website without the meta title and description also. The main function of the meta title is to display your website title in search engines so that browsers will easily know about your website. The meta description also plays similar roles to describe your website in search results. Thus they are important things that need to be defined to improve your website performance and generate more traffic to your domain.