Is it ok to get an email list given to you?

KeralMTG

A friend of mine who was a blogger has a good email list and now he has stopped blogging because he has a real good job. He said he would give me his email list if I want it but I do not know if this is good or not. I think that maybe people will get mad to get emails from me and not him that they signed up for. Do you think it is ok to take and use an email list that someone gives you?

Muzzamil

A friend of mine who was a blogger has a good email list and now he has stopped blogging because he has a real good job. He said he would give me his email list if I want it but I do not know if this is good or not. I think that maybe people will get mad to get emails from me and not him that they signed up for. Do you think it is ok to take and use an email list that someone gives you?
It would be better if he gave you a shoutout because it will introduce the list to you. If he just gave you the list straight up, people would be confused since they don't know you and you would have a very low response rate. Although if you have been doing Email Marketing for awhile then you can easily build relationship with them and monetize on them.

Dean

You know Keral I am just not sure on how to best do this. I think that @Muzzamil raised some good points in that the people on the list wouldn't recognize you and/or the email address that you send the emails from and they might not show any kind of good response to your messages.

It might be best to do as suggested above and have him give a shout out to the people on the list and maybe say something about you taking over for him in some way.

Many people might just mark your messages as spam if you just emailed them out of the blue without them expecting that.

Sorry I can't be of more help but this is a tough one.

Cheers, Dean.

Maria Marketing

I think that you should be cautious with getting email addresses given to you. This might make the people on the list upset because they didn't sign-up to get anything from you but from your friend.

I would probably see if your friend can maybe make an announcement to his subscribers introducing you and that you will be taking his place. Also provide them with a chance to unsubscribe if they want to do that also.

Traveler

I don't think it will end up being that good of an idea. People are probably going to be thinking everything you send them is just spam since the email address you are sending from will be different.

ulterios

One thing that you might be able to do isto ask your friend to send out one last email letting his subscribers on the list know that he will be passing on the list to you and let them know what your intentions are. Give the subscribers a chance to unsubscribe if they would like, and then just see what happens.

I don't know what will happen but at least you should be able to get a part of the list with their consent. ;)

matteomatt

It is totally ok to use an e-mail list that they gave you, but whether it will be successful or not depends. First, what is the niche? Like the others above me said, he needs to warm them up somehow and let them know why you will be e-mailing him. Is it a big and responsive list, or just something he collected.

ulterios

he needs to warm them up somehow and let them know why you will be e-mailing him.
Good point! Yes, this is a great way to help ease the people on the list into the new sender. This way they will know how there names were passed along and why. Cold emailing will not have much of a reception.

Ben

This would not be any different than if you were to buy an email list so I do not see it as a problem. It might not be too productive though if you use it in a niche other than what it was built for.

JohnQ

As long as you are not violating any kind of conditions the person who made the list gave to their subscribers then I can't see why it would be bad. You can do like someone else mentioned and send an email to the recipients on the list and introduce yourself and let them know what's going on. Maybe give them a chance to unsubscribe if you want.

augusta

I don't see a problem with that but the snag is that a lot of people on that list might see you as a spammer or a scammer because they don't know or have your mail address.

if you can.build your own email list fast then I think you can jettison that idea.