Do I need an SSL for an ecommerce website?

Storm

I am going to be starting an ecommerce website BUT I will not be accepting payments on the website itself. I will be using Paypal for collecting the payments from the customer and that is done on their website.

Do I still need an SSL certificate for my website even though I won't be accepting payments on it directly?

Traveler

I do not think that you have to have one for sure if you do not take the payments on your site but I think that you should. That way people will trust your website more and so will google. If people trust you more then they will maybe buy more from you.

Dean

If you are having people signup or register for your ecommerce website then I would still use an SSL. It helps to make sure that the data is secure like for passwords and things like that.

Plus it will help people to trust doing business and making purchases from your site.

KeralMTG

You should have an ssl for any ecommerce website. That can make people feel more comfortable to buy from you even if they make the payments on paypal.

ulterios

You should always have an SSL for any eCommerce website even if you are not collecting/receiving payments on the site itself. One main reason is that it helps protect the data like login information, passwords and other information that your eCommerce website users will be inputting.

Google is also going to start penalizing websites that they think should have SSL's who do not have one. It also helps the visitors to your eCommerce website trust it more.

An SSL isn't exactly required in your case (although I think it should be) but if you don't then it's going to hurt your site.

JennyJ

I think that you should use one because I have noticed that I have started to get warning messages from my web browser when visiting some websites. People will not want to buy from you if they see a warning message.