Are web hosting affiliate ads good for any blog?

Maria Marketing

I am looking to find out what some opinions are and get some information on web hosting affiliate marketing.

I was wanting to know if it is a good idea to use web hosting affiliate advertising on a blog that is not tech or web related?

I know these can be very profitable, but I am wondering if they would be appropriate on a blog that isn't about web hosting, websites, blogs or other tech topics.

Let me know wht you think about it, good or bad. :)

SenseiSteve

I think in this day and age of Internet technology, businesses understand that they need a website to compete and they need hosting to make that happen. Nothing wrong with affiliate ads for hosting on a non-technical site.

Dean

I have to agree with what Steve said above, there's nothing wrong with having hosting affiliate ads on a non-tech site.

I have seen hosting ads on just about every type of blog that you can imagine, so whatever the niche your blog is in should be fine with having hosting affiliate ads.

I do think that maybe try to use ads that are of nice quality and not some of the real cheap looking ones that some hosting companies have. A lot of times hosting affiliates have multiple options for the ads and their color and design, so just find whichever looks best for your blog.

If you are thinking about text ads, then I don't think it would be bad to have them as well.

Cheers, Dean

Maria Marketing

I think in this day and age of Internet technology, businesses understand that they need a website to compete and they need hosting to make that happen. Nothing wrong with affiliate ads for hosting on a non-technical site.
Thanks Steve, I just wanted some other opinions because I didn't know if it would make a blog that is not tech related look like rubbish.

Thanks for the opinion. :)

Maria Marketing

I have to agree with what Steve said above, there's nothing wrong with having hosting affiliate ads on a non-tech site.

I have seen hosting ads on just about every type of blog that you can imagine, so whatever the niche your blog is in should be fine with having hosting affiliate ads.

I do think that maybe try to use ads that are of nice quality and not some of the real cheap looking ones that some hosting companies have. A lot of times hosting affiliates have multiple options for the ads and their color and design, so just find whichever looks best for your blog.

If you are thinking about text ads, then I don't think it would be bad to have them as well.

Cheers, Dean
I know it must sound a little feminine but I was thinking about using ads that were similar in color to what my blog will be. Just to try to make it look nice whilst at the same time advertising a service with taste. :)

ProfMike

Just an opinion but in my view it depends on the web hosting affiliate. I would not want to be associated with an organization that does not supply the same type of customer service or quality that I do. I consider that the biggest consideration I have when I setup any affiliate marketing.

Have I used the product, do I believe in the product and am I willing to accept the customer views of the product that I have referred? If the product is a dud, how will that impact my customers and traffic. Does the advertising distract from what I am trying to do with the site.

I have had quite a few people reach out to me and ask to place ads in my video tutorials, in my opinion that would distract from the tutorials and the lesson being taught and I will not do it. I know how distracting those types of ads are to me when I am watching something.

It all depends on the impact the ads will have to your overall goal. Think it through and consider how it impacts your users. That is always my first consideration on my personal sites.

That said, that is probably why I will never get rich doing this.

Maria Marketing

Just an opinion but in my view it depends on the web hosting affiliate. I would not want to be associated with an organization that does not supply the same type of customer service or quality that I do. I consider that the biggest consideration I have when I setup any affiliate marketing.

Have I used the product, do I believe in the product and am I willing to accept the customer views of the product that I have referred? If the product is a dud, how will that impact my customers and traffic. Does the advertising distract from what I am trying to do with the site.

I have had quite a few people reach out to me and ask to place ads in my video tutorials, in my opinion that would distract from the tutorials and the lesson being taught and I will not do it. I know how distracting those types of ads are to me when I am watching something.

It all depends on the impact the ads will have to your overall goal. Think it through and consider how it impacts your users. That is always my first consideration on my personal sites.

That said, that is probably why I will never get rich doing this.
Thanks ProfMike, I do not think I thought about how the advertisers would reflect on my blog. I do not want people to be upset because they bought something from one of my advertisements and be upset with me.

Whilst I would try to place advertisements on my blog that were what I think are good companies, I did not think as much as I should have about maybe taking a good look at the reputation of that company.

This will need more thought thank I took into consideration. Thank you :)

Dean

I know it must sound a little feminine but I was thinking about using ads that were similar in color to what my blog will be. Just to try to make it look nice whilst at the same time advertising a service with taste. :)
I do the same thing myself many at times. I like to have my websites look nice and clean.

Cheers, Dean

SenseiSteve

Along the lines of what Mike said, I would steer clear of advertising any EIG brand of web hosting provider, simply because their support response and resolution times are ranked among the worst in the industry.

Dean

Along the lines of what Mike said, I would steer clear of advertising any EIG brand of web hosting provider, simply because their support response and resolution times are ranked among the worst in the industry.
Very good point Steve, glad you brought that name up as one to be careful with. I used them before and had the worst customer service that you can imagine, an absolute nightmare.

I wouldn't want one of their brands on my blog, i'd probably have some upset site visitors at some point wanting to take it out on me seeing the ads on my site as some kind of endorsement.

Maria Marketing

Thank you Steve. How can I tell if a host is an EIG brand? Will it maybe say in the footer or and about us page? I sometime need support so I do not want one with bad support.

:)

vishwa

Thank you Steve. How can I tell if a host is an EIG brand? Will it maybe say in the footer or and about us page? I sometime need support so I do not want one with bad support.

:)
You can check the list of Hosting sites that are under EIG group here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

By the way you can promote hosting ads on your blog without any issue. But I suggest you to first try the host yourself and than write a review about it on your blog. This will increase the trust among your users and it will create good amount of sales. I hope it will help you.

Dean

You can check the list of Hosting sites that are under EIG group here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

By the way you can promote hosting ads on your blog without any issue. But I suggest you to first try the host yourself and than write a review about it on your blog. This will increase the trust among your users and it will create good amount of sales. I hope it will help you.
That information was removed a while back, I guess it has been put back up on wikipedia. There was some kind of legal action going on last year and all the EIG companies were removed from their listings there. I was looking for the list and came across the notice, so had to look elsewhere (Google) for the EIG list. Nice to know it's back up, I hadn't checked there in some time.

Thanks for the heads-up and information.

Cheers, Dean

ulterios

Hi Maria, As other have said, you will be fine to put hosting advertisements on your blog. These days you can find hosting advertisements on just about every niche or topic that can be found on a blog.

One big reason is that hosting affiliate advertisements can be very lucrative and earn good money. They pay a lot higher amounts of money (usually) than most other types of affiliate advertisements pay.

I would though just not get carried away and put them everywhere you can find a spot for them. That can tend to make them look cheap. In my opinion, if your site looks too spammy with advertisements that can affect how people see you and your site which can affect your reputation and earnings.

Good Luck. ;)

Maria Marketing

Thanks for sharing that @vishwa ! :)

So then are you buying the hosting services to try them out? If you are, how long do you pay for the service and try it out for?

Maria Marketing

I usually try their services for 3 to 5 months to ensure that they are providing reliable services.
Do you pay monthly for these or just but one of the hosting companies introductory rates for a year? I have seen a couple that charge a lot per month versus just paying for a year at a special rate.

Maria Marketing

Yes, I paid them on monthly basis to check out their services.
If you are going to try them for 4-5 months then isn't it usually cheaper to get some of the introductory prices for a year? Some hosts want the same price for a few months at their monthly rate as they want for a first year rate.

KeralMTG

I am seeing web hosting affiliate ads on every kind of site there is so it should be fine on any site you have. I would just make sure to put ads from good hosting companies so your visitors will not be upset if they get hosting from a bad host they see on your site.