Are link exchanges good for SEO or bad?

Marcos

I saw that many places around have link exchanges for website owners. Are these good for SEO and will they help my blog or do the search engine penalize your website if they learn that you are having link exchanges?

ulterios

That can depend on many things so there is no correct answer for every situation. It depends a lot on what the site you would be getting and giving the links to/from.

If it's a junk or spam site then you could be hurting your own site. If it's a good quality site that doesn't have lots of outbound links and the link would be from a site of value that is related to where the link points then it can help your site.

It depends on many things so it's hard to say either yes or no.

Storm

If the site you are exchanging links from is a good site that is not full of a lot of outbound links and is not a poor site then it should be good as long as the links look natural and are proper for the content.

Marcos

That can depend on many things so there is no correct answer for every situation. It depends a lot on what the site you would be getting and giving the links to/from.

If it's a junk or spam site then you could be hurting your own site. If it's a good quality site that doesn't have lots of outbound links and the link would be from a site of value that is related to where the link points then it can help your site.

It depends on many things so it's hard to say either yes or no.
If the site you are exchanging links from is a good site that is not full of a lot of outbound links and is not a poor site then it should be good as long as the links look natural and are proper for the content.
ulterios and Storm, Sometime though it is hard to tell for certain if a website is a good website. You can try to check some things but it might still have something that can hurt your own website. So then I guess you just check what you can and hope it is good?

Look for the backlinks of the website and PA/DA/RD of that domain , domain age , OBL per blog if it looks like spammy link exchange from that website will bring only negative effects nothing positive.

Be careful while choosing websites / webblogs for link exchange.
I did not know that domain age mattered. I will remember that when I am checking on website.

squeeze

Not all links are created equal. The more links you get from popular, trustworthy and authoritative sites, the higher you’ll climb in the search results. Don’t expect to get the same results by getting links from hundreds or thousands of low-authority, spammy sites.

Storm

ulterios and Storm, Sometime though it is hard to tell for certain if a website is a good website. You can try to check some things but it might still have something that can hurt your own website. So then I guess you just check what you can and hope it is good?
All you can do is check the things you can and check to see if it is ranked and then just hope for the best I think. You can also look around the site and see if it looks like a good quality site.

ulterios

Yes @Marcos, checking and trying to find out as much as you can about any particular site is often all you can do. Make an educated guess based on checking stats, rankings, history, serps and things like that.

rexfordjoan

Link exchange has been a practice on the internet ever since. And it is a good practice too – if you do it right. Link exchange has a potential to positively impact site traffic and improve business relations.

Dean

No , it is not good for seo purpose.
Why do you say that? If they are from an authority website and they help your rankings then doesn't that mean they are good?

vishwa

Wait! Link exchange can be harmful to you. Google's penguin update is now in real-time and runs with their core algorithm. Google can easily traced you if you manipulate the links. So, it is good practice until it looks like link scheme to Google.

Smith-K

Not all links are created equal. The more links you get from popular, trustworthy and authoritative sites, the higher you’ll climb in the search results. Don’t expect to get the same results by getting links from hundreds or thousands of low-authority, spammy sites.

I have to agree with the reply here... The links which are easy to get are the ones that Google does not even consider as a valid link. Your focus should be more on building assets around the content that you create and then promote those assets on relevant sites.

Marcos

As long as they are good sites then aren't the low authority sites ok and do a little good as long as they are not spam sites?

Link exchange has been a practice on the internet ever since. And it is a good practice too – if you do it right. Link exchange has a potential to positively impact site traffic and improve business relations.
I hared that Google can often know if links are not natural links so is it still good to take a chance?

No , it is not good for seo purpose.
Why do you say this?

Wait! Link exchange can be harmful to you. Google's penguin update is now in real-time and runs with their core algorithm. Google can easily traced you if you manipulate the links. So, it is good practice until it looks like link scheme to Google.
Is there a way for Google to know now if a link is not a natural one? I don't know how they would know this.

Marcos

Google is very smart search engine. Its Penguin 4.0 which is focus on links is running in real-time with its core algorithm. So, Google can easily traced your backlink activity.
I did not know they could tell this. Thank you for your sharing this. Now I will have to make sure to be cautious.