Would you go to the Rio Olympics if you could?

Argus

Friend of mine has free passes to go to Olympics in Rio in 2 months but can not go. He ask if I wanted his passes. I always want to go but never had good chance. I do not know if I should go because of all the crime I see in the news about Rio.

These are special passes from the national team because he is family with one coach. Would you go to them if you could go?

ulterios

Hi Argus,

I would definitely not pass up on a chance like this if you don't have to. Going to the Olympics is usually a once in a lifetime thing that most people will never get a chance to go to. Especially considering that you will have some kind of special passes I would say go for it.

I wouldn't worry about the crime, at least during the Olympics. There will be a lot more security and police around because of the event. The IOC makes sure there is more security because they don't want bad things to cast a shadow on their Olympics.

I say go and if you are concerned about crime, just make sure you stay in areas that are safer and stay close to where the events you are going to are at.

Good Luck ;)

ProfMike

The one thing that would concern me is the Zika Virus and the problems that they are seeing with controlling the transmission of the virus. There was a discussion just a few weeks ago about canceling and moving the games out of Brazil the concern is so high. The WHO (World Health Organization) and the United Nations said no but there are man scientists that feel it should be moved.

The Olympics are a very cool event, I went to the 96 Olympics in Atlanta as a communications engineer, it was very cool to see the games that close and be behind the scenes with all the athletes. But these games in Brazil, I do not know if I would go. Rio is a very dangerous city, although that will be taken care of with all the additional police and military that will be present, I would be more concerned witht he health concerns. I spent a lot of time in South America, and especially in Brasil. Rio and San Paulo, are beautiful cities but there is a side to them that you just need to be very careful.

Just some thoughts....

Argus

Hi Argus,

I would definitely not pass up on a chance like this if you don't have to. Going to the Olympics is usually a once in a lifetime thing that most people will never get a chance to go to. Especially considering that you will have some kind of special passes I would say go for it.

I wouldn't worry about the crime, at least during the Olympics. There will be a lot more security and police around because of the event. The IOC makes sure there is more security because they don't want bad things to cast a shadow on their Olympics.

I say go and if you are concerned about crime, just make sure you stay in areas that are safer and stay close to where the events you are going to are at.

Good Luck ;)
Thank you for information.
Yes I think there will be more security since you say that. It may be safer during Olympics that normal.

Argus

The one thing that would concern me is the Zika Virus and the problems that they are seeing with controlling the transmission of the virus. There was a discussion just a few weeks ago about canceling and moving the games out of Brazil the concern is so high. The WHO (World Health Organization) and the United Nations said no but there are man scientists that feel it should be moved.

The Olympics are a very cool event, I went to the 96 Olympics in Atlanta as a communications engineer, it was very cool to see the games that close and be behind the scenes with all the athletes. But these games in Brazil, I do not know if I would go. Rio is a very dangerous city, although that will be taken care of with all the additional police and military that will be present, I would be more concerned witht he health concerns. I spent a lot of time in South America, and especially in Brasil. Rio and San Paulo, are beautiful cities but there is a side to them that you just need to be very careful.

Just some thoughts....
Thank you for information also.
I did not know anything of this virus. This makes me a little worried. Do you think they have vaccine for this one to protect people? Thank you

ulterios

Thank you for information.
Yes I think there will be more security since you say that. It may be safer during Olympics that normal.
You are very welcome. You might want to check into the virus that @ProfMike was talking about. I haven't heard anything about that so I don't know how bad that is or even really what it does. Definitely should be something to search and get more information.

Good Luck. ;)

KeralMTG

You should surely go to the olympics. Most people never can go so if you have chance to go you then should go. After you get back you will surely be happy you went.

Maria Marketing

Oh you have to go! This is something special and you might not ever get the chance to go again.

Be safe and protect yourself as best you can, but go! :)

ProfMike

I was surprised at the number of people that had not hear of that virus. It has been all over international news for many months now. I have to agree with the majority of the respondents that if given the opportunity to go you should definitely do what you can to go. But read up on the concerns and prepare yourself. I have included a couple of links for anyone that is interested in what is going on with this virus.

Harvard Public Health Review
http://harvardpublichealthreview.org/off-the-podium-why-rios-2016-olympic-games-must-not-proceed/

Express of the UK.
http://www.express.co.uk/travel/art...16-Zika-Threat-How-to-Stay-Safe-Travel-Advice

Argus

I was surprised at the number of people that had not hear of that virus. It has been all over international news for many months now. I have to agree with the majority of the respondents that if given the opportunity to go you should definitely do what you can to go. But read up on the concerns and prepare yourself. I have included a couple of links for anyone that is interested in what is going on with this virus.

Harvard Public Health Review
http://harvardpublichealthreview.org/off-the-podium-why-rios-2016-olympic-games-must-not-proceed/

Express of the UK.
http://www.express.co.uk/travel/art...16-Zika-Threat-How-to-Stay-Safe-Travel-Advice
This is very scary! Why they do not do some thing to stop this from spreading? This can be very bad for women to have babies with problems. I want to go but now I do not know if I should go. Maybe I can check with my doctor office to see what I can do to be safer.
Thank you for this information and help.

KeralMTG

This is very scary! Why they do not do some thing to stop this from spreading? This can be very bad for women to have babies with problems. I want to go but now I do not know if I should go. Maybe I can check with my doctor office to see what I can do to be safer.
Thank you for this information and help.
Yes it can be scary but maybe they have a vaccine shot or some medication that you can take as precaution so you will not get it easy. Ask your doctor about this.

KeralMTG

There is currently no vaccine for this virus.
Then they should do some thing then. There will be very many people for the olympics and if too much of them gets this virus it will look bad and people will be more scared to go there.

Argus

Thanks for helping. This virus now has me worried. I called my doctor office and they said I can take precautions but no guarantee. I might not want to go now.

Argus

Thank you all of my friends for your opinions. Now I will just let you know that I will not be going to the Olympics after all. Some big change has just started at my business and I will not be able to be away until after I would have to leave so I am not going.

Maybe next time, who knows. Thank you all.

Dean

Thank you all of my friends for your opinions. Now I will just let you know that I will not be going to the Olympics after all. Some big change has just started at my business and I will not be able to be away until after I would have to leave so I am not going.

Maybe next time, who knows. Thank you all.
Too bad, hopefully you will get another chance like that Argus. I would love to go to the Olympics myself one day but doubt I will ever have the time to do it.

Cheers, Dean

Argus

Too bad, hopefully you will get another chance like that Argus. I would love to go to the Olympics myself one day but doubt I will ever have the time to do it.

Cheers, Dean
If you want to go then you need to make the time and make plans for it. You have 4 years until the next one. I think that is a good amount of time to plan to go. Once in a lifetime thing to go to so you should try if you can.