Which is bigger: SEO or Social Media?

Adrianhenry

I have a new website and I am getting confused between concentrating on SEO and Social Media to increase traffic to the website.
Which do you think I should give priority? Is that Social Media or SEO?
Please help me and thank you for your time.

cwvps

I believe you should first optimize your website for the search engines (so called On Page SEO) and when that is done (you can use some online checker tool like WooRank), you should concentrate on creating social media pages for your website and sharing your content.

PTTed

I agree with what @cwvps said.

Here is what I usually do:

Right at the beginning when I am first launching the website, I will select one or more keywords to target with the homepage using SEO. And I will also select up to a handful of other pages that I intend to create that I will be targeting with SEO. That way I can build the site out with those goals in mind.

Then when I go to build the site I:

1) Make the site as useful as possible so that people are glad they have found my site
2) Create internal links within the site to maximize the use of whatever PageRank my site ends up acquiring
3) Get a handful of links from various places pointing back at the site so it can start ranking
4) Start promoting the website at a few key places that I have identified as being good prospects for where that site's target audience is spending time online
5) Implement any other promotional methods that I decided would be worthwhile to test
6) Wait to see where it settles into the search results before I begin any serious link building or before doing any major keyword specific off page SEO work

I generally don't bother promoting a website very much using social media at all. The reason for that is because, in my experience, you have to stay active in social media for it to be effective. You have to actively build relationships with people on the social media channels. You have to start conversations with them and then go back and forth with them in conversation for a while. And once you do enough of that, it starts gaining momentum. But that takes a while to happen. And then it takes continuous maintenance to keep that going. If you stop participating in that social media channel, then your followers quit paying attention to you. You lose that traffic source. Social media just requires too much of a continuous presence for me to bother with it.

When I create sites, I want the traffic to those sites to be passive traffic that comes in even when I am away from that website for months at a time. Social media traffic isn't passive traffic. You have to work at getting it all the time unless you are extremely well known in your niche/industry.

cwvps

I couldn't agree more with what PTTed said about the traffic coming through social media and engagement. It takes a lot of your time and this doesn't decrease in time. People like to be engaged and discuss different things, but they also like to feel appreciated and to see their opinions considered. This is what they usually get if you run your social media campaign well. If you intend to keep this traffic channel, one option is to hire someone to do that for you or just to suit up and do it.

Rajiv Singhi

I have a new website and I am getting confused between concentrating on SEO and Social Media to increase traffic to the website.
Don't be confused about in which one is bigger or best between SEO or SMO. Because both are standout with their quality. SEO mainly use to get keywords ranking and generate traffic from search engines but SMO (Social Media Optimization) mainly use to generate traffic from social media platforms... So both are fantastic way to promote your website...

Thanks

SEO is the process and the utilization of tools related to the world wide web that improve a websites visibility, to increase traffic to a web site.

Social Media are the best way promote Business. SMO: Social Media Optimization process to optimize the site on social channels like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, Google Plus etc.

Wrig Mark

SEO mainly use to get keywords ranking and generate traffic from search engines but SMO (Social Media Optimization) mainly use to generate traffic from social media platforms..

Adrianhenry

SEO mainly use to get keywords ranking and generate traffic from search engines but SMO (Social Media Optimization) mainly use to generate traffic from social media platforms..
Have you ever measured them? which one is giving you bigger traffic?

1) Make the site as useful as possible so that people are glad they have found my site
2) Create internal links within the site to maximize the use of whatever PageRank my site ends up acquiring
3) Get a handful of links from various places pointing back at the site so it can start ranking
Agreed with internal links but links from places? would you mind sharing some places I should have to have quality links?

talal

SEO nowadays is hard, its hard to rank for most of keywords I think I have to create a community on FB then you will see your pages goes up on google automatically

hina

SEO is required for improving rank in search engine result pages known as SERP while SMO is required for getting huge traffic from Social media sites.

Maria Marketing

I have seen a lot of things posted on many websites that say that seo is better because google thinks that social media is mostly spam.

Whilst I do think social media is important I think that seo will give better results over time and not get counted as spam. I think you just need to be careful not to go insane on the social media websites and it will be ok.

Why ar you doing SEO, Business. Business is depend both Social Media and SEO. SEO is provide Website Rank and Social Media help to meet peoples, connect with them and provide services without any SEO.
Easily easily engage with peoples on Social Media.
SEO is Ranking factor that gain website rank to around the world peoples is easily find and get your website.

ulterios

Personally, I don't see any reason why you should not be able to do both efficiently and effectively!

Social media might generate more short term traffic, which is always nice. However, SEO will make sure that traffic continues to come in and if done right can have a bigger long term affect for a website or blog.

It would be too hard to pick just one. Maybe spend a little time on one, then move to the other if you have to pick one or the other.

Good Luck ;)

Dean

SEO and Social Media both are equally important. In short SEO is good for long term growth and Social Media is important for short term growth.
I agree with that. Many people concentrate on one or the other and I think you need to work on both. Do social media promoting and marketing for quick short term growth but you also need to have SEO efforts going at the same time for long term sustained growth.

Good points!

Cheers, Dean

BobAntonio

You should first determine your goals for the website, then decide what strategy is the best for achieving it. For example, if you need visitors for the website then SEO would be ok, if you need to build awareness social would be more suitable, likewise.

Dean

You should first determine your goals for the website, then decide what strategy is the best for achieving it. For example, if you need visitors for the website then SEO would be ok, if you need to build awareness social would be more suitable, likewise.
Good points. I myself like to try to do both but I usually always have a shortage of time so it's usually one when I get the chance, then the other later.

Cheers, Dean