What type of hosting are you using free or paid?

Maria Marketing

I would stay away from free web hosts. Most of them have limited features, are unreliable,... I have researched many of these free web hosts past year. Some are even worse than you expect.
For example 000webhost got hacked last year and lost a lot of sensitive data. A hacker used an exploit in an old, unpatched version of PHP to upload malicious files and gain access to the service's systems. Not only was the full database containing the usernames, passwords and email addresses compromised, but this information has been dumped online.
That is shocking that the hosting company would do that. Why didn't they just update the patch, do they cost money for the patches?

Dean

That is shocking that the hosting company would do that. Why didn't they just update the patch, do they cost money for the patches?
I have no idea if they cost money or not but coming from a free hosting service you can't expect them to provide the very best service and support. I don't think that people realize that before they decide to go the free route.

You always have to be expecting to get what you paid for, or in this case didn't pay for! ;)

Cheers, Dean

I think the best method is paid hosting. We invest in our website, so we have obligation to pay, we will accept the good service. In this case, saving money is not a good idea

unixguru

Cheap hosting is bad enough. Your entry level engineer is paid $20/hour, so if you are paying $2/month and need more than 6 minutes help, that company has just made a loss, and that's assuming the equipment costs nothing.
You get what you pay for. If you need an hours help per month you should be looking at paying around $30 for your hosting.

Maria Marketing

Cheap hosting is bad enough. Your entry level engineer is paid $20/hour, so if you are paying $2/month and need more than 6 minutes help, that company has just made a loss, and that's assuming the equipment costs nothing.
You get what you pay for. If you need an hours help per month you should be looking at paying around $30 for your hosting.
What do you think is a reasonable amount to pay for a good hosting service? Shared? VPS?

I just really don't know what kind of rates good hosting goes for. All I see are the ads around the internet but have no idea of how the price relates to the quality of the hosting. :)

KeralMTG

All the free hosting that I have seen has too many low limits. Low disk space, low or only 1 website, low ram and other resource. Paid is a better option unless you can not afford paid.

ulterios

If all you have is a couple of landing pages then free hosting might be ok, but most of the free hosts I have seen and know about are not somewhere I would host sites I value or am serious about.

Getting good cheap hosting from a good host is only a few bucks a month and well worth it versus free hosting and what you get.

Spend a few dollars a month and your sanity and wallet will thank you! ;)

LLRhodes

My vote paid...
I had a bad experience with free a few years back.
My site was hacked. The free hosting company had only email support. It took them a long time to respond. Their response, as I recall, was basically "tough luck."