What marketing strategies do you do for a New York business based website?

Adrianhenry

Hi everyone,

I'm having one New York based web development company and I have to do marketing online for that. What marketing strategies that you gonna start for a new site if you got a website like web development based company?

Kindly suggest me,

Thanks in advance

PTTed

In all honesty, if I was going to start a web design company in New York I would focus more on offline marketing from the start.

Here is what I would do:

1) Build an exceptionally impressive looking website so that it makes me look talented
2) Include lots of examples from my portfolio of awesome sites I have previously created
3) Create offline marketing materials including business cards, letter head and brochures.
4) Join my local chamber of commerce. Join more than one local business networking groups. Start meeting business owners and introducing myself.
5) Create a sales letter that targets business owners with outdated websites.
6) Assemble a list of local business owners' contact information - you can usually buy this list or rent this list from your local chamber of commerce.
7) Mail that sales letter to those business owners.
8) Start an Adwords PPC campaign for my website
9) Create an information product that shows a case study of how much more money a business made once they updated their website with a more modern one.
10) Mail that information product out along with my brochure to all of those business owners on that list.

Question: Why would I target local business owners using offline promotional methods instead of just trying to get any customer I can from the internet?

Answer 1: Because business owners prefer to do business with someone local. You are much more likely to get business from a local person than from a random person out of state.

Answer 2: Because if a person goes online to look for a web designer, they are much more likely to be a price sensitive shopper. That means you have to make sure your price is more competitive (lower) in order to compete against all the other online options the person will find. There are many, many local business owners who will not bother to go online to search for a web designer. And some of the ones who do go online will use Yahoo.com or Bing.com to look for one. The reason they won't just go to Google to look for one is because many of them aren't computer savvy at all or internet savvy at all. They have totally different skills.

Off the top of my head, that is how I would approach it if I were you.

ethany

My view is different, when you have just started, spending time and effort on hundreds things could lead you to be fail. Just focus in 1 factors, for me you should have an SEO and adwords strategy for your website is OK

Adrianhenry

4) Join my local chamber of commerce. Join more than one local business networking groups. Start meeting business owners and introducing myself.
Nnetworking groups? could you please share any details such as links or recommendations?

7) Mail that sales letter to those business owners.
This looks like newsletter to subscriber or directly send to website owners?

9) Create an information product that shows a case study of how much more money a business made once they updated their website with a more modern one.
How and where to create and put an information product?

PTTed

Networking groups? could you please share any details such as links or recommendations?
I am not sure where you are from. Here in the United States, in every city, county and even many towns, there are not-for-profit business groups called Chambers of Commerce. A local Chamber of Commerce exists to help local business owners succeed in business. One of the ways they do this is by helping introduce business owners to one another through networking events.

For example, in some of the local Chambers in my area, a different member of the chamber will host a networking schmoozer at their place of business. They invite everyone to their business for snacks and drinks where business owners can talk about business with other business owners. A different person hosts the networking event each month. They are open events that allow anyone member of the Chamber to attend. There are lots of business deals made at these events.

This looks like newsletter to subscriber or directly send to website owners?
Not a newsletter. You create a sales letter that presents a sales pitch to business owners. It is a written, printed letter that you would send in the mail. Here is a great book about how to create one - The Ultimate Sales Letter by Dan Kennedy. I own the book and highly recommend it.

How and where to create and put an information product?
The information product I am talking about here is another written document. It would be a detailed report "a case study" about how you created a new website for a business and their business increased as a result of it. The case study is the proof that your product will help a business. You want to send that to the business owners with your sales letter. That will greatly increase the number of responses you get.