What is the memcached server?

Nathan92

As title mentioned I want to know about memcached server, how to install it on server?

it serves for purposing to store session or caching on our website hosting?

Please guide me

RDO Servers

MemCacheD is a cross platform, distributed memory caching system.

It is used to hold large amounts of data in cache (using RAM) in order to decrease the number of round trips to a database, api, or other external resource. MemCacheD can be installed on your current web server, but for most large scale applications, there will be 1 or more dedicated MemCache servers to handle the load.

How to install it depends on what system you are running. You can download the program and get install instructions from http://memcached.org/

Reactions: ims

ims

Looking for Stars...
Staff member
MemCacheD is a cross platform, distributed memory caching system.

It is used to hold large amounts of data in cache (using RAM) in order to decrease the number of round trips to a database, api, or other external resource. MemCacheD can be installed on your current web server, but for most large scale applications, there will be 1 or more dedicated MemCache servers to handle the load.

How to install it depends on what system you are running. You can download the program and get install instructions from http://memcached.org/

Great info!...I'm going to install Memcached on VPS to store PHP Sessions in Memcached instead of store into files. Is it better?

Here is an article that I found on the net, it's a good guide to install Memcached and starting to store sessions for our forums?

@ims MemCached is actually used a little it differently than you think; it is primarily implemented into a software's code to cache database transactions and records to lower the amount of READ transactions that hit the database, ultimately lowering the load on the Database server. A website that uses MemCaches hugely would be Facebook, they were the ones who first recognized the software and I have used it in numerous projects since. MemCached is GREAT for caching static database content such as Posts & Profiles in vBulletin, it actually has built in functionality!!

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/dick/3936342-

What I would recommend is the following:

1. A separate VPS with MemCached installed;
2. Said VPS is to have more RAM than Hard Drive space (4GB-6GB)

ims

Looking for Stars...
Staff member
@ims MemCached is actually used a little it differently than you think; it is primarily implemented into a software's code to cache database transactions and records to lower the amount of READ transactions that hit the database, ultimately lowering the load on the Database server. A website that uses MemCaches hugely would be Facebook, they were the ones who first recognized the software and I have used it in numerous projects since. MemCached is GREAT for caching static database content such as Posts & Profiles in vBulletin, it actually has built in functionality!!

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/dick/3936342-

What I would recommend is the following:

Thanks for great info, ElixantTechnology!!

I have read the link before which you're mentioning above

I want to install MemCached to handle session from vBulletin forum, which I think it is a reason that Mysql server or Apache restarted automatically each day. I am still checking to find what is causing that.

It is affecting both IMS and WMS forum.

Need a VPS to install MemCached?

If I have RAM lesser than 4GB then which will happen?

It really depends on the size of the website, and how big the database is. You need to consider that you will need RAM for the Operating System, as well as for MemCached. Rather than using Disk Space, MemCached stores EVERYTHING in RAM; making it more accessible. The reason I say put it on another VPS is if it crashes, the CACHE dumps and it becomes pointless to even have it in place if you're wasting resources reallocating the cache, also, if you run out of RAM it could be a big issue once again resulting in a data dump. Preferably, if you want to keep everything on one machine, go to a Dedicated Server, VPS isn't really a recommended solution for Mission Critical information, but it is viable.

RDO Servers

I agree with Elixant. Memcached can be a great thing, but it can actually make sites worse if not implemented correctly.

Say you have 4GB ram on your VPS
Lets say the OS and websites typically use about 3GB of the RAM
Now you install memcached and have it store your static content in RAM

Having static content stored in memory, will make the sites run faster.
BUT if you are now using 100% (or even close to it) of your VPS memory, you will face other ill effects.

This is why Elixant correctly suggested having Memcached installed on a separate VPS.

If Memcached uses too much memory, or otherwise crashes, then you loose the benefit of Memcached, but your sites keep running as normal!