What is the difference between Google SEO and Yahoo SEO?

kochii12

Do they have differences in SEO?

Which is more difficult for you to get high positions on its search engine?

elcidofaguy

First of all its important to realize that Yahoo uses Bing search data (Microsoft) technology... The major difference for me is the demographics of users... Typically Yahoo users are older and spend more according to many demographic search data. In addition if your target audience is finance then Yahoo is a good option i.e. just think of Yahoo finance... Here is one source which discusses the demographic comparison of Yahoo/Bing traffic vs. Google.

For me at the end of the day Google is king and like most people I dont bother with specific SEO strategies for Bing/Yahoo... That said many of the same rules still apply - however the following are the major differences:
  • Bing rewards pictures, video, audio, flash and more
  • Bing favors direct keywords & less backlinks
  • Social signals is a strong part of the algo
  • Important content should remain at the top of the page
  • Bing won’t index all of your web pages

Hope that helps!

P.S. Nytshade wrote a great response on how to rank on Bing which you can find here.

PTTed

Do they have differences in SEO?

Which is more difficult for you to get high positions on its search engine?

Google is definitely more difficult to get high rankings on in most cases. The primary reason for that is because Google ignores a lot more link spam than Yahoo/Bing.

Yahoo/Bing still give more value to low quality links than Google does. So you can use links from article directories (for example) to rank high in Bing/Yahoo still. And you can use repetitive anchor text with the keywords you want to rank for. The problem in doing a lot of that is that while you might help your ranking in Bing and Yahoo, you will hurt your ranking in Google.

Bing/Yahoo also still give more weight to having keywords in the domain name. Google has diminished the weight of keywords in the domain name compared to how they used to value them.

If you want to rank well in all three search engines then focus on excellent on page metrics first and foremost. Use the internal link juice within your site to funnel links to the pages you want to rank highest within your site. Use keyword rich anchor text on the links within your own website that point from one of your pages to another one of your pages. And then focus on getting inbound links from external sites that are good enough for Google to count. If the link is good enough for Google then the other search engines will count it.

Bing/Yahoo also still give more weight to having keywords in the domain name. Google has diminished the weight of keywords in the domain name compared to how they used to value them.
Could you give any example or any details about this?

I did some researches and sum up that more keyword match domain are getting better rankings.

PTTed

Could you give any example or any details about this?
I did some researches and sum up that more keyword match domain are getting better rankings.

(With respect to Google) Keywords in the domain name do give you a ranking boost. That boost just isn't as much as it used to be. It used to be an even bigger factor than it is now. It is still a big factor.

(With respect to Bing/Yahoo) Keywords in the domain name have been a big factor in the past and they still remain a really big factor (even more of a factor than Google).

The algorithms that Bing is using for search ranking right now are in many ways similar to the ways that Google used to rank sites about 5 years ago.

Keywords in the domain names are a big factor on all 3 major search engines, but they are more important on Bing and Yahoo than they are on Google.

Google and Yahoo both have entirely different algorithm. Google gives more importance for backlinks while Yahoo loves content and text. In case of Yahoo if you have your meta details and content with enough keywords your site will rank well in Yahoo.

Maria Marketing

I didn't know there was a difference in the seo that you use for different search sites. I am trying to learn more about seo so this is good information to know.

I know that microsoft owned bing and yahoo but I thought all seo was the same for all the search sites. Nice to know. :)