What is the best blog post length in words?

Kania

I have written several blog posts for my blog and they are between 500 and 700 words for most of them. I did a search in Google to find the best blog post length but there are so many different answers that it is confusing me.

What would some of you say is the best blog post length for the amount of words and should I try to make them as long as possible?

KeralMTG

I always try to make them long so there is a lot of content but not too long so that people do not want to read the whole post. I usually just try to make them longer than 400 or 500 words.

JennyJ

I have always just written my blog posts and not really worried about how long they were unless they looked way too short or way too long.

As long as the posts are good then I don't think it makes much of a difference how long they are unless you are at one extreme or another.

vishwa

An Ideal length of a blog post is minimum of 800 words. Google love content and users too. Creating detailed and informative post will surely help you get success with your blog.

Dean

There is no set number of words that is the best amount to have for blog posts. You want to make sure that your blog posts are not short and have thin content and/or information but not so as that people will not want to finish the blog post because it is running on forever in their minds.

I usually have 800-1200 words as my minimum and that where they seem to wind up without me trying for a certain word count.

One thing that you don't want to do is just add extra words for the sake of making your posts longer. Your readers will be able to tell that you are just running on for no good reason and they might leave and never return.

I would shoot for 800+ words but if it's a little less and it's a good quality post then it really won't matter.

Maria Marketing

I read some articles last year when I was trying to figure out what is the best blog post length and I saw several people say that you should try to get 1000 words or more. That is what I usually try to get for mine but some are not quite that amount.

ulterios

I have written several blog posts for my blog and they are between 500 and 700 words for most of them.
That's not bad and better than many I see around on many blogs. It depends a lot on the quality of the article an not as much on the amount of words.

I did a search in Google to find the best blog post length but there are so many different answers that it is confusing me.
Well that's because there is not set number that is best. It's mostly just people speculating on what they think or have read somewhere else.

What would some of you say is the best blog post length for the amount of words and should I try to make them as long as possible?
You don't want to try to make them as long as possible or your blog readers will rarely finish an article.

If you want to shoot for some kind of word amount then try to get them in between 800 - 1200 words. Some can be more and some less but that's going to depend on you, the topic and many other things.

Kania

@ulterios , I was checking some blogs that I read and many of their posts are only 400 to 500 words many times. A few were even less than that and some were also missing some information. I want my posts to always be complete and not missing something important.

Storm

I think that your 500 to 700 word posts are fine as long as they are well written and have good information in them. I have seen a lot lower word count posts rank high in the search results but the information and other content is good quality.

You can also add some images or video clips to some when that's relevant to the subject.

Catherine1

Why don't you do some searches in Google or Bing and see how long the top ranking blog posts are in the subjects that you are writing about? Just an idea.

Dean

You can also add some images or video clips to some when that's relevant to the subject.
Good advice Storm. Having images and/or videos included in the content of your blog posts can help improve user appeal and even might help your rankings a little since Google and the other search sites like web pages with images and videos.

Storm

Good advice Storm. Having images and/or videos included in the content of your blog posts can help improve user appeal and even might help your rankings a little since Google and the other search sites like web pages with images and videos.
Thanks,

I started putting bigger and nicer images on my site and then the bounce rate started improving and my traffic numbers went up a rather good amount. I don't know if the image improvements had much or anything to do with that but they seemed to so I do that always now.

Traveler

I read about this topic on an seo website recently and they said that a good goal to shoot for is 1000 words as a minimum for your blog post length.

They also said not to try to force your posts to that length and make the quality of the post suffer because you are trying to reach a certain amount of words.

Kania

I think that your 500 to 700 word posts are fine as long as they are well written and have good information in them. I have seen a lot lower word count posts rank high in the search results but the information and other content is good quality.

I usually have just one image but I was thinking of doing more on each post. I thought about putting some videos in some of them but I didn't know if that was a good idea or not.

Ellen F

I was just going to ask about this but found this topic in searching the forum.

Did you ever find out what the best or ideal blog post length is?

I have started to write some posts for my upcoming blog and was wondering what kind of word count goal I should be aiming to hit.

Kania

I was just going to ask about this but found this topic in searching the forum.

Did you ever find out what the best or ideal blog post length is?

I have started to write some posts for my upcoming blog and was wondering what kind of word count goal I should be aiming to hit.
I have never found a number of words that everyone recommends. I see some saying 500 or more and some even say 1000 or more words. I have just been trying to get over 500 always and never below.

JoeMilford

This is such a hard balance to find--I never set a number of words, but i try to find a balance in length based upon the content. Different subjects require different amounts of attention, I think, so I let my content by my guide when writing a post.

Kania

This is such a hard balance to find--I never set a number of words, but i try to find a balance in length based upon the content. Different subjects require different amounts of attention, I think, so I let my content by my guide when writing a post.
If your posts look to small then do you add more to them or just leave them?

shilpa

I always write an elaborate piece for my blog. It's better that way. I believe it should be around a thousand words long. But I prefer to do around 1500-2k words for my blogs. This shows your expertise upon the area you're writing. The more you convey the more visitors are likely to return. For example, if you're writing blog on mobile apps, it's always better to convey to people what types they are, what are their functions, and how did you find it yourself when you used it. Now, this using yourself part is very important as the success of your blog depends on what experiences you've really had with the services that you're writing about. People tend to relate more to those ideas that have been tested by other people.