What hosting requirements for 1 or 2 wordpress blogs?

Catherine1

Things have changed so much in the last couple of years since I had my last wordpress blog, so I wanted to know what kind of hosting requirements there are for 1 or 2 wordpress blogs?

They'd be not very big at first and i'd be the only one posting on them (I think).

I can't remember what I had a couple years ago so I want to make sure I get hosting that will work well for them but without buying something I don't need.

Any advice or tips on what you'd think I am gonna need would be helpful.

Anything else you'd think I should know as well besides certain hosting requirements would also be nice.

Thanks

ulterios

What exactly your hosting/resources requirements for 1-2 WordPress blogs will be will depend on many factors.

Things like the theme that you use, the plugins and the amount of plugins (if they're resource hogs), the equipment that your hosting company is using on their servers, what if any, the control panel is using (many use cPanel) and any number of other things will dictate what kind of resources you will need from a host.

However, for the most part if you should be fine with hosting from a decent host. Try to get on that has 1GB or more of RAM. You can get by with less but it can affect your site performance. You might be able to work with less RAM but I wouldn't unless you have to.

As for storage space and bandwidth, you should be fine with most hosts, especially starting out with new blogs.

I would also make sure to do a little research or as others before choosing a host because there are some that are some that you would want to stay away from. You can ask our members here if you are not sure.

Good Luck

KeralMTG

Too many things can make a difference for what you will need for your blogs so it is not hard to know what hosting you need. I know you are better to have better hosting than you need than to be stuck with bad hosting and your blogs are slow and you lose readers.

Catherine1

What exactly your hosting/resources requirements for 1-2 WordPress blogs will be will depend on many factors.

Things like the theme that you use, the plugins and the amount of plugins (if they're resource hogs), the equipment that your hosting company is using on their servers, what if any, the control panel is using (many use cPanel) and any number of other things will dictate what kind of resources you will need from a host.

However, for the most part if you should be fine with hosting from a decent host. Try to get on that has 1GB or more of RAM. You can get by with less but it can affect your site performance. You might be able to work with less RAM but I wouldn't unless you have to.

As for storage space and bandwidth, you should be fine with most hosts, especially starting out with new blogs.

I would also make sure to do a little research or as others before choosing a host because there are some that are some that you would want to stay away from. You can ask our members here if you are not sure.

Good Luck
Thanks for the useful information. I have not done much shopping around yet but I will keep these things in mind when I do.

Catherine1

Too many things can make a difference for what you will need for your blogs so it is not hard to know what hosting you need. I know you are better to have better hosting than you need than to be stuck with bad hosting and your blogs are slow and you lose readers.
Thanks for your input. I am planning to have better hosting than I need just in case I want to do other things or add more websites. You are right, it would be better to have too good rather than not good enough hosting. I do not want to get stuck with a hosting plan that won't work for my needs, especially since it seems like most want you to pay for a year at a time.

KeralMTG

Thanks for your input. I am planning to have better hosting than I need just in case I want to do other things or add more websites. You are right, it would be better to have too good rather than not good enough hosting. I do not want to get stuck with a hosting plan that won't work for my needs, especially since it seems like most want you to pay for a year at a time.
Yes, you want to have good hosting because bad hosting can cause many problems. If your blog is down lots of times then people will not keep coming back to it. If you blog has slow loading then that can hurt google ranking for your blog and you will get less traffic.

Most hosting company want you to pay for a year or more but there are some who charge each month. The month charge is a lot of time a lot more money but you can try it maybe to see if it is a good host.

Waqass

For one to two WordPress based blogs with few posts daily will be as light as feather for almost any hosting company out there. I know WordPress has gotten bloated over the years but so has the power of servers.
Further you can always go for monthly trial plans as almost every big hosting company offers free or 1$ monthly trials. Just my two cents.

Catherine1

For one to two WordPress based blogs with few posts daily will be as light as feather for almost any hosting company out there. I know WordPress has gotten bloated over the years but so has the power of servers.
Further you can always go for monthly trial plans as almost every big hosting company offers free or 1$ monthly trials. Just my two cents.
Thanks for your thoughts. I didn't know the hosting companies had any kind of trials. All I see are prices for 1, 2 or 3 year contracts. Are these something they don't show on their websites or that you have to ask for?

Waqass

Some webhost have their promos floating around the web and you can always google for them. Other hosts tend to toss down their $1 offer during singups and in newsletters. Moreover you can always ask the host for trial and Im sure they wont be reluctant in making an arrangement for you.

KeralMTG

Thanks for your thoughts. I didn't know the hosting companies had any kind of trials. All I see are prices for 1, 2 or 3 year contracts. Are these something they don't show on their websites or that you have to ask for?
I did not know this too. I think I might try to do this next time I am looking for hosting but do not know of hosting company quality and support.

Catherine1

Some webhost have their promos floating around the web and you can always google for them. Other hosts tend to toss down their $1 offer during singups and in newsletters. Moreover you can always ask the host for trial and Im sure they wont be reluctant in making an arrangement for you.
Thank you, I had no idea hosting companies even did this. I really appreciate your help with this. :)

Ilyas

What you need really depends about the amount of traffic you will receive. Small WordPress blogs can be hosted on almost every shared hosting platform as most servers can handle enormous loads.
When your traffic hits more than, lets say, 1000 - 2000 visitors a day, you should host your website on a VPS or a small dedicated server.

ims

Looking for Stars...
Staff member
Things have changed so much in the last couple of years since I had my last wordpress blog, so I wanted to know what kind of hosting requirements there are for 1 or 2 wordpress blogs?

They'd be not very big at first and i'd be the only one posting on them (I think).

I can't remember what I had a couple years ago so I want to make sure I get hosting that will work well for them but without buying something I don't need.

Any advice or tips on what you'd think I am gonna need would be helpful.

Anything else you'd think I should know as well besides certain hosting requirements would also be nice.

Thanks

If you don't have big traffic on your blogs then a shared hosting can suit to your requirements.

If your blogs have big traffic like 1000 - 2000 visitors a day as Ilyas said, then I with go with his advice, go a VPS with affordable price can be a good choice and better than a shared hosting.

What you need really depends about the amount of traffic you will receive. Small WordPress blogs can be hosted on almost every shared hosting platform as most servers can handle enormous loads.
When your traffic hits more than, lets say, 1000 - 2000 visitors a day, you should host your website on a VPS or a small dedicated server.

I agree with Ilyas but 1000 - 2000 visitors a day then I think it needs a VPS is enough, not need to go with a dedicated server.

I would suggest to read reviews about these hosting providers http://forumweb.hosting/13131-benchmark-top-hosting-providers-vps-update-07-16.html, I also choose one from that list and it is running as weel.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

ulterios

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ims

Catherine1

If you don't have big traffic on your blogs then a shared hosting can suit to your requirements.

If your blogs have big traffic like 1000 - 2000 visitors a day as Ilyas said, then I with go with his advice, go a VPS with affordable price can be a good choice and better than a shared hosting.
I don't think that I will have that many visitors per day or at least not at first. I just didn't know if I should just get a good shared hosting plan or start off with a vps so that I don't have to worry about moving later if my blogs get big and have a lot of visitors.