What do you think about content curating?

Dean

Lately I have found that a lot of the articles on my sites are being curated and put on the website of someone else without any kind of permission from me.

It's usually just a part of the article and not the whole thing and then they put a link back to my sites to "Read More".

I have thought about taking security measures to help prevent this but I don't know if gaining the extra link is worth it or not.

What thoughts do you guys have on this?

Cheers, Dean.

ulterios

I am personally not too fond of it in most cases. The articles that I take time to write are basically being stolen so that the person who is stealing them benefits from my hard work in one form or another.

If it was just a headline and an excerpt then I would be ok with it as long as it's not on some kind of adult, torrent or other undesirable website. I would also prefer to be noted as the author and at least get credit for writing it.

Maria Marketing

I think it would depend on if they are copying the whole post from your website or just part of it. If it's the whole post then they are just stealing your work. I think it should be maybe a small part and then a link to the website they got it from and giving them the credit for the post. If they don't give the person who posted it the credit then they are just stealing for their own benefit.

Storm

It's just lazy people stealing the work of other people. Google and the rest should penalize all sites badly or ban them from their searches.

Ben

I have seen this for as long as I have been online (many, many years) but it just seems to be happening more often. I guess that it's more accepted now then in the early years of the internet where people really hated people who did this. Times change I guess.

ulterios

I have seen this for as long as I have been online (many, many years) but it just seems to be happening more often. I guess that it's more accepted now then in the early years of the internet where people really hated people who did this.
Same here and I remember when it was very frowned upon to do this. Times as well as people and what is acceptable are always changing. Sometimes things change for the better and sometimes for the worse. ;)

vishwa

Lately I have found that a lot of the articles on my sites are being curated and put on the website of someone else without any kind of permission from me.

It's usually just a part of the article and not the whole thing and then they put a link back to my sites to "Read More".

I have thought about taking security measures to help prevent this but I don't know if gaining the extra link is worth it or not.

What thoughts do you guys have on this?

Cheers, Dean.
Hello Dean, This is not a major issue until they are copying your whole article and do not give the credit to you. Most of the website use it as content syndication. However if you don't want to allow it than you can send a email to the webmasters and tell them to remove your content from their website. I also request you to add a copyright notice on your website to make sure that your content is protect and should not be reproduce or republish without your permission. Hope it will help you.

Dean

Hello Dean, This is not a major issue until they are copying your whole article and do not give the credit to you. Most of the website use it as content syndication. However if you don't want to allow it than you can send a email to the webmasters and tell them to remove your content from their website. I also request you to add a copyright notice on your website to make sure that your content is protect and should not be reproduce or republish without your permission. Hope it will help you.
Hi Vishwa, What I have found is that the sites that I have found that are using my articles are not giving any credit to me, a link to my site stating where it came from or anything.

I also have a copyright notice and statement and I have them on all of my sites. That doesn't seem to stop them.

I contacted a couple of them with no replies back. What do you think I should do next?

Cheers, Dean.

vishwa

Hi Vishwa, What I have found is that the sites that I have found that are using my articles are not giving any credit to me, a link to my site stating where it came from or anything.

I also have a copyright notice and statement and I have them on all of my sites. That doesn't seem to stop them.

I contacted a couple of them with no replies back. What do you think I should do next?

Cheers, Dean.

Hi, Dean

If they did not respond to your request than you can file a DMCA notice to all of them. You can also send content removal request to Google https://support.google.com/legal/troubleshooter/1114905 This will help you a lot. If you have any further queries let me know.

Dean

Hi, Dean

If they did not respond to your request than you can file a DMCA notice to all of them. You can also send content removal request to Google https://support.google.com/legal/troubleshooter/1114905 This will help you a lot. If you have any further queries let me know.
Hi Vishwa and thank you for the information. I was hoping that I didn't have to go as far as to have to do something like that but they aren't even replying to my emails. I guess the only way to deal with this kind of thing is to go this route when people won't even reply.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Cheers, Dean.

Traveler

I think that if they don't copy the entire article and they give credit and a link maybe then it should be ok. You can't really stop people from doing it so if they at least do it somewhat fairly then I guess that would be ok.

Dean

You can't really stop people from doing it so if they at least do it somewhat fairly then I guess that would be ok.
Yes, that is my thoughts about it these days. The thing is that most people seem to just want to take and not give credit to the person who wrote the article. It's sad that people can't have some respect for others as well as themselves. :(

Cheers, Dean.

ulterios

I had forgotten about this thread and just happened across it again and wanted to post something interesting.

A couple of days ago I had gotten an email from someone with a blog that covered website related information and they were actually asking me if it was ok to use an excerpt (small portion) from a couple of my articles on one of my websites.

I was actually surprised because they actually asked before they just went and copied the content. I saw their articles after they posted them and they gave credit to me and everything. The person acted very professional and courteous which is not the usual these days.

It goes to show that some people do have character and do things in a good, professional and respectful way. I have been impressed! ;)

Dean

I had forgotten about this thread and just happened across it again and wanted to post something interesting.

A couple of days ago I had gotten an email from someone with a blog that covered website related information and they were actually asking me if it was ok to use an excerpt (small portion) from a couple of my articles on one of my websites.

I was actually surprised because they actually asked before they just went and copied the content. I saw their articles after they posted them and they gave credit to me and everything. The person acted very professional and courteous which is not the usual these days.

It goes to show that some people do have character and do things in a good, professional and respectful way. I have been impressed! ;)
Well that's impressive! Someone that did things in a proper way for something like this is quite unusual in my own personal experience.

Thanks for sharing the experience. :)

Cheers, Dean.