What do you do when your traffic gets low?

Lucian Lada

There will be times when your traffic on your website is very good but also times when it will be low. What do you do when your traffic decrease?

nesito29

It's quite simple really, just promote again in order to increase your traffic. However, if something like that happens I want to know why it happened, and how to prevent it from happening again. Doing this will save you from many troubles and will improve your site's performance.

Mark007

First I need to investigate the cause of low traffic suddenly, and then act accordingly. Spending more on promotions and building content are good examples that we can do apart from technical issues like website loading time and server downtimes.

PTTed

Like @basicblogtalk and @Mark007 said, I would investigate why the traffic decreased. If a problem has developed, then fix it. Maybe you were getting a lot of traffic from Google organic search for a certain keyword phrase and your ranking dropped from position one to position four. If that traffic was good converting traffic, then I would revisit that page and see what I could do to boost its ranking back up. Maybe I add some new content to the page. Then I go create some additional internal website links that point to that page. Then I go see about publishing a guest blog post for another inbound link or go get a link some other way.

If I was getting a lot of traffic from some other referring website and it dropped off, then I would want to go look at that site and see what has changed. Maybe it is out of my control to do anything about it and maybe not.

The Dark Wizard

then I would revisit that page and see what I could do to boost its ranking back up. Maybe I add some new content to the page. Then I go create some additional internal website links that point to that page. Then I go see about publishing a guest blog post for another inbound link or go get a link some other way.
For the best option from points above, I should update new content to page that getting high ranking on search to maintain its position on search engine results.

Increasing backlinks from relevant website to these specific pages will help boost ranking?

PTTed

For the best option from points above, I should update new content to page that getting high ranking on search to maintain its position on search engine results.
No. In most cases it does not matter how fresh your content is. That idea that you need to have fresh content in order to rank high only really pertains to certain searches where Google thinks the "query deserves freshness".

For example, if you are doing a search that is related to news that just came out, then Google wants to show you a page on some website that just broke that news. The vast majority of searches are not time sensitive at all and therefore do not require fresh content.

Adding content to a page is done more for improving the user experience and adding value to the page. Adding new content also helps to get additional keywords and/or relevant content onto the page. If adding new content to the page helps prevent a visitor from going back to the search results to keep looking for their answer, then that new content is helping you rank higher. User experience (at least as far as Google can measure it) is a very important ranking factor for Google.

Increasing backlinks from relevant website to these specific pages will help boost ranking?

Yes. Increasing backlinks from other websites (relevant or irrelevant - it doesn't matter as much as you think) can help boost ranking if that other website you get the link from is a trustworthy website that links to you using a normal hyperlink (not a rel="nofollow" link). The amount it boosts your ranking depends on how much link juice the page has as well as other factors such as where the link is located on the page, whether there are other links on the page and how many of them there are and where your link is in position compared to other links in that block of content, etc.

Hostlumina

Like everyone else... The first thing is to determine why the drop of traffic and begin working your way through to bring that traffic back.

@PluginForage - I would highly recommend switching the beer with tequila. This will help you pass out faster which means you will be up earlier to tackle the situation. Keep in mind the headache + dehydration might be heavier but manageable.

Jim Garey

There are many things you can do to drive traffic to your site even once it begins decreasing. Don't panic! try to utilize social media, forums, and more as much as possible!

Witally1963

Yeah, in most cases, you have to repeat all marketing actions :)

victorrex

This simply means that your seo process has slowed down or stopped, so you need to start with seo process in the same manner, as this could be result of drop in ranking

ulterios

When my traffic slows down for a website of mine and I am wanting to increase it that means that it's time to act on it in one of several ways. Depending on the site itself, what my goals are for the site and some other factors, that will usually determine what I do to get a traffic increase.

Some of the methods that I use are paid advertising, social media marketing / promoting, forum marketing in forums with members in my target audience and things along these lines.

The methods I use can also depend on how much money a particular site is making as well. The more money one is making then the more willing I am to use paid methods of increasing the traffic for that site.

There are many deciding factors and each site can have a slightly to drastically different response to generating more traffic. When one or many slow down I will just analize each one and decide on the course of action I am going to take, then go from there. ;)