What are the top features to look for in a new host?

Ben

I'm currently looking for a host and wanted to know what are the most important features to look for when choosing a new host? I really don't trust the reviews that are around on websites so I am having trouble figuring out what I should put a priority on. What are the top feature that you look for in a web host?

vishwa

The very first thing I am looking for a host is their customer support. A Good hosting with poor customer support is useless. Secondly I don't get trapped with unlimited hosting policy because it is baseless and you completely unknown about how much resources will you get? I also stay with with cheap web hosting who are offering hosting $1. So, It depends on your requirements of choosing a hosting.

Reactions: Ben

Ben

The very first thing I am looking for a host is their customer support. A Good hosting with poor customer support is useless. Secondly I don't get trapped with unlimited hosting policy because it is baseless and you completely unknown about how much resources will you get? I also stay with with cheap web hosting who are offering hosting $1. So, It depends on your requirements of choosing a hosting.
Thanks. You seem to know what you are talking about. I agree that customer support is a high priority but how can we tell if a host has good customer support before we try them?

vishwa

Thanks. You seem to know what you are talking about. I agree that customer support is a high priority but how can we tell if a host has good customer support before we try them?
To check a hosting customer support and whole of its performance. You can ask them for some free days trail to check out their performance. If they did not provide free trails than you can sign up with their one month plan. I usually doing this before buying or changing a host. I am now currently hosted my bog on Godaddy manged WordPress hosting. The performance is super and I am fully satisfied with them.

Ben

To check a hosting customer support and whole of its performance. You can ask them for some free days trail to check out their performance. If they did not provide free trails than you can sign up with their one month plan. I usually doing this before buying or changing a host. I am now currently hosted my bog on Godaddy manged WordPress hosting. The performance is super and I am fully satisfied with them.
They will really give you some free days to try out hosting? That would be great to test the service.

ulterios

To me customer support is the most important thing that I would always see as my top priority when looking for a new host. I know that finding good accurate information on a new host can sometimes be a tough task but if you just use Google to search for information then you can sometimes find what you need that way.

Just do not look at the review sites as they are mostly self-serving. There are a few good ones but until you are able to tell the difference then don't trust any of them.

You can check some hosting forums as well and see what kind of information you can find there. Lots of knowledgeable people can be found in the hosting forums so checking those can help get some accurate information.

After customer support then I look at the resources that I would get with any hosting plan I am considering, especially RAM. Too many hosting services are skimping on the resources with RAM being the big one that is usually one they always skimp on.

Research is your friend when searching for hosting.

Good Luck. ;)

Ben

To me customer support is the most important thing that I would always see as my top priority when looking for a new host. I know that finding good accurate information on a new host can sometimes be a tough task but if you just use Google to search for information then you can sometimes find what you need that way.

Just do not look at the review sites as they are mostly self-serving. There are a few good ones but until you are able to tell the difference then don't trust any of them.

You can check some hosting forums as well and see what kind of information you can find there. Lots of knowledgeable people can be found in the hosting forums so checking those can help get some accurate information.

After customer support then I look at the resources that I would get with any hosting plan I am considering, especially RAM. Too many hosting services are skimping on the resources with RAM being the big one that is usually one they always skimp on.

Research is your friend when searching for hosting.

Good Luck. ;)
Most of the hosts that I have been checking don't mention anything about the amount of RAM. How can I find out what comes in their plans?

ulterios

Most of the hosts that I have been checking don't mention anything about the amount of RAM. How can I find out what comes in their plans?
They sometimes do that because it's so little they don't want to let you know that. Most of the do have the information somewhere on the site like in any help pages, policy pages or things like that. Namecheap for example has them listed in their Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

If you can't find the information anywhere on the site then you should contact chat or phone support (Pre-sales or Purchase Questions) if the host you are thinking about has that available.

Good Luck. ;)

Reactions: Ben

Ben

They sometimes do that because it's so little they don't want to let you know that. Most of the do have the information somewhere on the site like in any help pages, policy pages or things like that. Namecheap for example has them listed in their Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

If you can't find the information anywhere on the site then you should contact chat or phone support (Pre-sales or Purchase Questions) if the host you are thinking about has that available.

Good Luck. ;)
Thanks for the info, i'll try with chat when I get off of work.

ulterios

Thanks for the info, i'll try with chat when I get off of work.
You are most welcome. FYI, most shared hosting plans have between 256mb - 1gb of RAM. Namecheap has one of their shared hosting plans with 2gb of RAM and that's the highest I have seen in a shared hosting plan.

Ben

You are most welcome. FYI, most shared hosting plans have between 256mb - 1gb of RAM. Namecheap has one of their shared hosting plans with 2gb of RAM and that's the highest I have seen in a shared hosting plan.
I've been checking and finding a lot of them are 256-512mb depending on the provider and the plan. I guess that's why a lot of people move around from one host to another.

Ben

Check whether they providing 24*7 support, server up-time, server quality, & provided SSL .
How can you check the server quality? Maybe a dumb question but I am limited on what I know about this kind of thing.

Traveler

Something that I think is important for a web hosting company is if they can fix problems a customer has quickly. Some hosts are slow to fix problems and you do not want that when your website is down. :(

Ben

Something that I think is important for a web hosting company is if they can fix problems a customer has quickly. Some hosts are slow to fix problems and you do not want that when your website is down. :(
I agree but you probably won't know how they are in this respect till you are a customer and it's too late.

Dean

To me great customer service and support are the features that are on the top of my list of things I look for in a new web host. After that then I look at the quality of the hosting including uptime, performance and all the technical stuff like a good control panel and so on.

Price is something I look at but only when the other more important factors are good. It doesn't matter how cheap a hosting service costs if it's down a lot, your sites load slow or the support is bad.

These are the main features and things that I look for in a new web host.

Cheers, Dean.

Traveler

To me great customer service and support are the features that are on the top of my list of things I look for in a new web host. After that then I look at the quality of the hosting including uptime, performance and all the technical stuff like a good control panel and so on.

Price is something I look at but only when the other more important factors are good. It doesn't matter how cheap a hosting service costs if it's down a lot, your sites load slow or the support is bad.

These are the main features and things that I look for in a new web host.

Cheers, Dean.
I also think that support must be good but I think it can be hard to find out if the support is good unless you are already a customer.

Dean

I think it can be hard to find out if the support is good unless you are already a customer.
That's true but you can try to find good reviews or information on sites like this or some hosting forums that might be helpful. Don't trust most of the review websites though. LOL

Many of the hosts will let you try their service for a week or so or maybe you can pay for a moth service to test it out before you commit to something longer term like a year or more.

Cheers, Dean.

Traveler

That's true but you can try to find good reviews or information on sites like this or some hosting forums that might be helpful. Don't trust most of the review websites though. LOL

Many of the hosts will let you try their service for a week or so or maybe you can pay for a moth service to test it out before you commit to something longer term like a year or more.

Cheers, Dean.
The hosts that I have seen do not have any prices for a month. do I have to ask them in chat or something? I like that idea.