Vps or shared hosting for wordpress?

Argus

How can I tell which hosting I need for a wordpress website? Do I need vps or shared hosting for wordpress blog that is not very big?

I found in searching that some people say you need vps and some say you need shared hosting so this is making me confused. This will be a new wordpress website so I might need not too much for it yet. Some people are saying for wordpress to work well you need vps but I do not know if this is true. I will be very thankful for anyone who can give me advice on this. Thank you.

KeralMTG

VPS is most surely better than shared host service but you do not need it for 1 wordpress website. If you just get a good shared host service with good quality then you will be fine with it. VPS is for bigger websites or to have many on the same server. VPS is wasting money for your website.

Dean

VPS is overkill for a single Wordpress website unless you have a lot of traffic or a very, very big website.

If you get a good quality shared hosting service, that will be more than enough. You can always get a VPS later if you need it but I would save the money and get a quality shared hosting plan from a reputable hosting company.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dean

Olinlama

How can I tell which hosting I need for a wordpress website? Do I need vps or shared hosting for wordpress blog that is not very big?
For WP sites that not big or low traffic, I would suggest you try a shared hosting first.

Install some caching plugins like w3total cache or wp super cache can help you avoid overloading on your hosting when site traffic increases.

Argus

Thank you friends. I think I will just get shared hosting first and get vps later when my website is bigger and gets more visitors.

Waqass

VPS is just not a answer to a big website. Sometimes you need custom scripts or resources that are not available in shared mode. That all depends upon your website. As others said simple normal blog will be fine with shared hosting and ofcourse it will be cheap.

Maria Marketing

VPS is just not a answer to a big website. Sometimes you need custom scripts or resources that are not available in shared mode. That all depends upon your website. As others said simple normal blog will be fine with shared hosting and ofcourse it will be cheap.
So with a VPS hosting account you can install some scripts that won't work on shared?

I am asking because I have been trying to figure out what kind of hosting I will need myself. I want to make sure to get something that is good because I don't want to get stuck for a year with something that is not good or doesn't do what I need it to.

:)

Waqass

So with a VPS hosting account you can install some scripts that won't work on shared?

I am asking because I have been trying to figure out what kind of hosting I will need myself. I want to make sure to get something that is good because I don't want to get stuck for a year with something that is not good or doesn't do what I need it to.

Yes...with VPS you have the ultimate power to play with your server as you like. For instance some scripts may require allow_url_include or allow_url_fopen or may be they want ioncube to be pre installed. Or your shared host might have upload limit, script execution limit, max number of process limit...the list goes on. So you you might consider vps if you have any custom plugins or some other complex script. Otherwise as previously said normal WordPress installation with popular plugins won't have any problem. Moreover there is no requirement of sticking for full year. You can always switch to another host and some will even do the transfer for you free of cost.

Maria Marketing

Yes...with VPS you have the ultimate power to play with your server as you like. For instance some scripts may require allow_url_include or allow_url_fopen or may be they want ioncube to be pre installed. Or your shared host might have upload limit, script execution limit, max number of process limit...the list goes on. So you you might consider vps if you have any custom plugins or some other complex script. Otherwise as previously said normal WordPress installation with popular plugins won't have any problem. Moreover there is no requirement of sticking for full year. You can always switch to another host and some will even do the transfer for you free of cost.
So then maybe it might be a good idea to get a vps instead of shared hosting just in case you need to have less limits, especially for future possibilities?

I have thought about creating other sites besides a new blog, so then if I have a vps instead I might have less restrictions in the future for potential unforeseen needs or requirements?

Are there a lot more freedoms when you have a vps instead of a shared hosting service? I don't want to find out I can't do something that I might need if I have shared hosting.

Waqass

So then maybe it might be a good idea to get a vps instead of shared hosting just in case you need to have less limits, especially for future possibilities?

I have thought about creating other sites besides a new blog, so then if I have a vps instead I might have less restrictions in the future for potential unforeseen needs or requirements?

Are there a lot more freedoms when you have a vps instead of a shared hosting service? I don't want to find out I can't do something that I might need if I have shared hosting.
Yes go for VPS if you have future plans for adding others sites and don't want to be restricted by any means. But let me warn you there are two types of vps services. Managed and un managed. If you are going for un managed VPS (ofcourse cheaper) then you should have technical skills to handle a VPS including installing web panel (like CPanel, Webmin, Ajenti etc), looking after security of server (including antivirus, rootkit finder, hardening server security). The managed VPS will take that worries of the table and will give you the liberty to just tweak it according to your needs.

Maria Marketing

Yes go for VPS if you have future plans for adding others sites and don't want to be restricted by any means. But let me warn you there are two types of vps services. Managed and un managed. If you are going for un managed VPS (ofcourse cheaper) then you should have technical skills to handle a VPS including installing web panel (like CPanel, Webmin, Ajenti etc), looking after security of server (including antivirus, rootkit finder, hardening server security). The managed VPS will take that worries of the table and will give you the liberty to just tweak it according to your needs.
Thanks Waqass.

Yes I do have plans for maybe making some other websites but I am not real sure what exactly they are going to be yet, so I guess then a vps would be better just to make sure I can do more things with my hosting.

As far as managed and unmanaged, I think managed would be the better choice for me. I am usually quick to learn things but I am not sure how quickly I would learn what I need to go unmanaged. Plus I don't know anything about server security.

If I go managed, the host will install the web panel for me or do I have to do that? :)

Last edited:

Argus

What resources does the vps have that is not in a shared hosting? I do not know about this things. Maybe I should get a vps instead?

Waqass

In shared hosting all your resources including hardware and software are shared by other customers of that same server. In VPS resources are allocated to you so load on other websites won't effect performance of your hardware. Moreover under VPS you can configure software, scripts and manipulate php settings, mysql settings or can remove other security settings if your script is demanding for it. Thus you have ultimate power with the VPS.

Argus

In shared hosting all your resources including hardware and software are shared by other customers of that same server. In VPS resources are allocated to you so load on other websites won't effect performance of your hardware. Moreover under VPS you can configure software, scripts and manipulate php settings, mysql settings or can remove other security settings if your script is demanding for it. Thus you have ultimate power with the VPS.
Thank you. So on shared hosting if someone has a big website with many visitors then that can affect how fast my website will load? If there are many big and busy websites then that can make mine go slow for loading? Then vps the other people who have websites will not affect mine loading fast or slow?

ims

Looking for Stars...
Staff member
Thank you. So on shared hosting if someone has a big website with many visitors then that can affect how fast my website will load? If there are many big and busy websites then that can make mine go slow for loading? Then vps the other people who have websites will not affect mine loading fast or slow?
It doesn't affect more but it can make your hosting account get suspended by overload on it if you have more visitors accessing on the site.

It is the time you will think about upgrading your hosting to a VPS or a dedicated server.

Normally shared hosting packages often limit number of connections or CPU usage...on each account so when you reach out to this amount, you will be noticed to update your hosting packages.

Argus

It doesn't affect more but it can make your hosting account get suspended by overload on it if you have more visitors accessing on the site.

It is the time you will think about upgrading your hosting to a VPS or a dedicated server.

Normally shared hosting packages often limit number of connections or CPU usage...on each account so when you reach out to this amount, you will be noticed to update your hosting packages.
They can suspend you even if it is unlimited hosting?

unixguru

Unlimited means that they haven't placed a limit of the disk space or transit (mistakenly called bandwidth on shared hosting) that your site uses.

If you start using too much CPU, or have too many simultaneous visits, this would not be sustainable on a shared host. The host has to decided whether to suspend you, or have all of their customers down. They will choose the former, unless you are paying more than the other customer combined.

They have a business to run, so if you cause them more grief that the money you pay, expect trouble.

You get what you pay for, so a good host will warn you when you approach the CPU or Bandwidth (not transit). Often they will offer you a VPS with resources sufficient to host your site.
If a website continues to cause problem a host has no alternative but to suspend that site, otherwise they risk losing other customers.

dedica

For starters, you can start with a shared hosting, and when the site will increase - VDS

I think when starting, you only need hosting. VPS is not essential to have. In the future, if your wordpress website develops well, you can change to VPS

ulterios

As long as you aren't getting a huge amount of traffic, then a shared hosting service should be fine. Then, once your website gets bigger and has more traffic and a shared hosting service can't keep up, you can then move to a VPS if you want. A single WordPress website would rarely need more than a good shared hosting service.

I found in searching that some people say you need vps and some say you need shared hosting so this is making me confused. This will be a new wordpress website so I might need not too much for it yet. Some people are saying for wordpress to work well you need vps but I do not know if this is true. I will be very thankful for anyone who can give me advice on this. Thank you.
Unless you have something out of the normal, then you probably wouldn't tell the difference in your website if you are using a good shared hosting service or a VPS service. I would just get a good shared hosting service and later move if you need.

Good Luck. ;)