Using Title and H1 on webpage?

Adrianhenry

Hey Guys,

I am working on a new webpage and need advice on Title Tags and H1 Tags.

Would it be wrong in any way to make the Title Tag and H1 Tag the same on the same page?

I would appreciate your responses.

Thanks

elcidofaguy

There is plenty of stuff online about this.... From all accounts its okay e.g have a read of this article. Although my suspicion is that it may contribute to over optimization with regards to using the same keywords and hence I would be tempted to vary it where possible. In the grand scheme of things I don't see any major issues and can understand its much easier to do it that way...

nesito29

Not at all, You can use it on the body of your article, just mix it up and compliment it. Here's how to use tags for best results:
  1. H1 tags should always be for a broad topic.
  2. H2 should be used for subtitles further explaining the main idea on the H1 tag.
  3. H3 tags and below are sub-subtitles explaining something very specific with a lot of detail.
Hope this quick explanation helps you and you should check the article elcidofaguy posted, it will help you a lot :)

PTTed

I make my Title and H1 the exact same by default. I have been doing it for years and it has always brought me great results.

So I am not concerned one bit about any over-optimization by doing that. It works very well and to my knowledge has never led to any penalties or demotions.

I think it helps you rank better for those keywords.

Adrianhenry

I make my Title and H1 the exact same by default. I have been doing it for years and it has always brought me great results.
I will choose this way because it will save my time if I use 2 different title for h1 and for title tag.

One question more, from your experience, we should use H1 on the web page with a link like this <h1><a href="link">text link</a></h1>

or raw code <h1>title</h1>, I am seeing more websites using both these methods but more is H1 without a text link in it.

Mark007

There is no harm in making your title tag and H1 tag the same for a particular webpage. Both represents the title of your webpage, one is used for spiders to read while the other is read by browsers more.

elcidofaguy

I will choose this way because it will save my time if I use 2 different title for h1 and for title tag.

One question more, from your experience, we should use H1 on the web page with a link like this <h1><a href="link">text link</a></h1>

or raw code <h1>title</h1>, I am seeing more websites using both these methods but more is H1 without a text link in it.

Indeed it will save you time... But do note that your title tag is what is displayed on search results.... and in some cases you might want to vary it from the actual post title so that is more enticing for someone to click on... Regarding over optimization it can be an issue e.g. same exact keyword shown on title, meta description, heading tags, alt attribute and within the body of your article... so make sure to mix it up on other areas with using semantically related words...

Regarding your h1 title being a hyperlink .... I wouldn't do it that way... Its almost like you are saying the article does not cover what the contents should and that if a person clicks the h1 link it will take them to a better resource... I can understand why you would want to put a link, especially towards the top part of a post, but I wouldn't do it for the title of the post... An h2/h3 further down perhaps if you really want to emphasize it... Do keep in mind the link on your post should be a semantically related one and not the same one as then you are in principle creating competing pages for the same keyword....

PTTed

I don't see a reason to have the link in the H1 unless you were trying to conserve PageRank on your page instead of allowing it to pass through the other links on the page. By creating that link at the top of the page like that you will substantially reduce the amount of PageRank that gets passed through the rest of the links on the page. If you have a reason for wanting to do that, then that is one way to do it.

Otherwise, I can't say whether the link in the H1 will help that post rank any higher. It might actually help and it might not. I have not tested it in the H1 like that. So I can't say with certainty if it will help or not.

My intuition tells me that it will help. But I think that the amount it helps will only be meaningful if that page has a lot of PageRank itself. If the page in question has almost no Google PageRank to begin with, then no I don't think it will help much at all.

It would make for an interesting test though. I think I will give that a shot on something.

Indeed it will save you time... But do note that your title tag is what is displayed on search results.... and in some cases you might want to vary it from the actual post title so that is more enticing for someone to click on... Regarding over optimization it can be an issue e.g. same exact keyword shown on title, meta description, heading tags, alt attribute and within the body of your article... so make sure to mix it up on other areas with using semantically related words....

I am surprised to hear you say this because I cannot say I have ever encountered that even one single time and I do all of those things on every single blog post that I want to get ranked high. And it works for me.

I always put the primary keyword in the title, H1, meta description and on the page itself (usually more than once). I also build at least one inbound link from within my own website with an exact match keyword anchor text usually. I may or may not have the keyword in H2, H3 or alt attributes on images. I don't worry about the H2, H3 or alt attributes or file names for images usually. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I can't say that I have ever experienced a ranking demotion for over optimization under those circumstances. As long as it doesn't look weird to a visitor, I can't see how it would matter to Google unless the content was thin.

Obviously I would not condone building a thin page stuffed with mostly just the keywords, but I think you get what I mean.

elcidofaguy

I am surprised to hear you say this because I cannot say I have ever encountered that even one single time and I do all of those things on every single blog post that I want to get ranked high. And it works for me.

I always put the primary keyword in the title, H1, meta description and on the page itself (usually more than once). I also build at least one inbound link from within my own website with an exact match keyword anchor text usually. I may or may not have the keyword in H2, H3 or alt attributes on images. I don't worry about the H2, H3 or alt attributes or file names for images usually. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I can't say that I have ever experienced a ranking demotion for over optimization under those circumstances. As long as it doesn't look weird to a visitor, I can't see how it would matter to Google unless the content was thin.

Obviously I would not condone building a thin page stuffed with mostly just the keywords, but I think you get what I mean.

Hahaha - I'm equally surprised by your comment... that said when I read your reply I don't interpret you with stuffing your keyword like below (which also includes heading tags, title, alt attributes etc....) :

keyword-stuffing-example-seo-google.jpg

There is a ton of stuff online about overstuffing your keywords and impact this has as you know doubt know...

If you read my response - I mentioned semantically related words .... that doesn't mean unrelated terms but words which are very related or slight variations of your target keyword... This also applies to off-page SEO wrt too many commercial/competitive anchors... Its a subtle but extremely important point.... I've seen it all too often e.g. keyword repeated twice on titles, multiple times on heading tags, sticking out like a sore thumb throughout the page in bold, underlined etc and worst of all reading worse than watching paint dry...

Finally if someone is keyword stuffing their site - the impact is not obvious e..g. you are not going to get your website banned, dropped out of the SERPs etc.... Its just not going to rank as well as it could...

To be blunt I think we're almost on the same page ;-)....

hina

It is better that you should have same title and h1 tag, but there may be some change in it. You could however see many sites that do not have same title and h1 tag.

david smith

H1 Headings are HTML tags which help highlight the significance topics and keywords on a page. Relevancy is necessary to get targeted traffic to the website. H1 tags have the necessary information what the web page is about, and the search engine spider notices it. The title and the H1 tag should be consistent i.e. they can be similar but need not be identical.