Should we renew domains for longer than one year?

KeralMTG

I read that google likes when a domain is registered for longer than one year at a time and that can help the seo of a website. So should we register or renew our domains for longer than one year?

Catherine1

I don't think that I have seen anything about needing to register your domain for longer to help the seo but I really don't know a lot about that. It seems like it really wouldn't be something that would make a difference to me though.

KeralMTG

It depends on you. There is no necessary of registering your domain for 2 or 3 years. You still renew it on yearly basis.
So place I read that it can help the seo of your site to register them longer. Is that true or do they just say that to make you have to spend more money then you need?

Kania

I think that I would just renew mine each year. Maybe if the domain registrar gives a discount for paying for a few years then I might do that but probably not.

I do not see how the number of years that you register your domain for will affect the seo. Doesn't it only matter if it is something that you do to your website?

Storm

I read something about this but I can't remember where. I am still just going to renew mine a year at a time because I doubt that it will have any kind of big impact.

Maybe if you had a site that was what Google thinks is a spam or junk site then it might make a big difference but I doubt it.

vishwa

So place I read that it can help the seo of your site to register them longer. Is that true or do they just say that to make you have to spend more money then you need?

I am not sure. But I am confident that the years of registration don't have any impact on your SEO. However domain age will be a factor in SEO and authority of your site. If I register a domain for 3 years does not mean that domain is 3 years old and have good SEO score. SEO score of a site grows eventually.

JennyJ

I registered mine for 2 years but I only did it because I didn't want to have to worry about renewing it for that long. I haven't read anything about it helping SEO but I don't know a whole lot about that.

KeralMTG

I am not sure. But I am confident that the years of registration don't have any impact on your SEO. However domain age will be a factor in SEO and authority of your site. If I register a domain for 3 years does not mean that domain is 3 years old and have good SEO score. SEO score of a site grows eventually.
The more years you have your site going then the more it will have more authority?

KeralMTG

Registering the domain for a longer period helps to increase the trust of the search engine. It also counts for ranking purpose but about very small percentage.
Longer registration can improve the site ranks a little? If we register it for a long time then will it help more?

Traveler

Even if there is some kind of seo increase by having your domain registered for a longer time I doubt that it will be much help with seo.

I would only do it if the registrar gives a discount for multiple years or in case you want to just register it for longer so you do not have to think about it for some time.

Dean

Yes Google has stated that they look at the registration length as a small potential ranking factor but it's still just a very small one so I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

I still usually just renew most of my domains a year at a time with a few exceptions.

If you decide to pay for the registration for more than just one year I wouldn't get too carried away as some things can change and you might be throwing away some money.

ulterios

Google has said that registration length can be a very small ranking factor but it's not a big one. There's a Matt Cutts (ex-Google) video that talks about it that you can probably find in Google or YouTube.

Marcos

I am still learning many things about seo but I have not seen any information about the registration period of the domain having any effects on seo. Maybe but I do not personally know of any seo affects.

I have always registered mine for a year at a time and try to renew it within 60-90 days before it expires.

david smith

There are two sides of a coin. Hence registering a domain for a longer duration i.e. more than a year has SEO advantages. Some who do not favour say that Google does not like spam domains and usually, these spam domains do not last for more than a year. Thus registering a domain for a longer duration will make the website more credible in the eye of the search engine. But then looking at the other side if the website is well optimised for SEO and has great content the no: of years that years that the website is registered for will not make any difference. Some say that it might be a marketing gimmick from some domain registrar who wanted customers to register domains for a longer duration.

ulterios

Some say that it might be a marketing gimmick from some domain registrar who wanted customers to register domains for a longer duration.
Well Google was the one who have said that for years so that might not be that case but the domain registrars are definitely happy about it.

However, you never know if it wasn't just something that Google was saying since a couple years after they said that they became a domain registrar. It might have been a marketing tactic since they knew that they would be going into the registrar business soon after they said it. ;)

Ellen F

I didn't know that the length of time that we registered a domain for had an affect on it's search ranks. In the past when I had mine I just paid for 1 year. I'll keep this in mind for my next that I am still trying to decide on.

Thanks for the information everybody. :)