Milestone payments for freelancers

MidnightAngel

Another thought occurred to me during my last post, go figure. This question is regarding Milestone payments. If you get awarded a project, and you want to make sure that the project is 'real', what percentage or amount is good for you to request a milestone payment? Or should you not even request it, and let the employer offer it? I have requested one milestone payment for a job that I'm doing for genealogy info, and I needed it to get into some of the pay sites, but haven't asked for any others. What are your opinions on the subject?

RDO Servers

Escrow payments are good for you and them. Keeps everyone protected.

If I think a job should have milestones, I wouldn't hesitate asking for them.

I don't have any set formula for determining amounts, it just depends on the job. If the project amount is low, I won't worries about it. For some of our large scale projects, we may use 10+ milestones.

Consider your expenses and how much your willing to risk doing for free if they don't pay.

RDO Servers

Asking them to fund a escrow payment upfront is fine.

Most clients will (or at least should) be hesitant to me upfront payments to a freelancer.

There are way to many people out there that will accept a job, take the first payment, and disappear.