Lost backlinks when I checked on google webmaster tool ?

ulterios

Hi everyone,

Today when I checked on google webmaster tool, I see the total links to my website decreased from 871 to 569 backlinks, But I don't know what happened ? Please help me if it affect for seo ?
Thanks
How long ago was it when you saw the 871 backlinks?

This can happen for many reasons including that the sites where the links were located were removed, the site is now closed down, the domain where the links were is no longer a site and is just parked (domain parking), or a number of other reasons.

It can maybe hurt SEO or help it, depending on the quality of the links. If they were good links then this will hurt your SEO, if they were bad links (spam, junk, etc.) then this could help the SEO for your site. It all depends on how good if at all, the links were.

SenseiSteve

As ulterios said, this all depends on the quality of the links. I'd certainly keep track of where your keywords rank to reveal any movement up or down.

ulterios

As ulterios said, this all depends on the quality of the links. I'd certainly keep track of where your keywords rank to reveal any movement up or down.
Good point Steve. ;)

It would probably be best to keep an eye on where you rank for your keywords to see if the loss of backlinks affected your rankings for them. If his rankings aren't affected then the links were not of any ranking value anyway.

This is definitely why forums are a wise choice for asking questions and getting input. If one person doesn't think about some, forgets, or whatever, then another is there to share additional information to help other members out!