Is wordpress free or paid better for traffic?

Argus

Hello friends. I am wondering which one will get more traffic for a website.

Wordpress free version or paid version on your own hosting? Does this matter or is it just what is on the website? I can not find a good answer in a search. Some say one and another says the other one.

Thank you

ProfMike

Honestly, it is much more important what the content is as it pertains to traffic. Without good content your traffic will always be marginal regardless of what type of hosting you are doing. As they say, "Content is King".

Personally, with everything else equal, I would always go for my own hosting. This way you have complete control as to what appears on your pages and if the site takes off and do start drawing a lot of traffic you can have control of advertisers, affiliates, etc. It would be a shame to dedicate all the time required to setup and build a good site and then lose the ability to profit from it if it became real popular.

It all depends on what you plan to do! Are you setting up a blog for you and your family? Chances are that the growth of that type site will be limited. Are you planning a technology blog? If you write good stuff and know what you are talking about, the skies the limit on that type of traffic. It all depends on your content.

There are many variables to consider. Think them through, be realistic in your expectations, study the market and competition and then only you can make the decision which is the best way to go.

Good luck.

Argus

Thank you both for your answers. I was thinking I should use the paid wordpress but I just want which one will be better. I think I will use the paid one since I also read that you do not have the same limits by wordpress if you use the paid wordpress.

It was just going to be a website for general purposes and nothing in particular so it really does not matter but I do not want to have to have limits on what I can do if later I do something different with it. Some people say because the free one is a top website it will get more traffic but I do not think that will always be correct. I think I will use the paid wordpress since it seems like the best choice.

Dean

The traffic would really not make much of a difference either way. The amount of traffic that a website would get would be dictated more by the quality of the content, SEO factors and some other things.

Just going with the free or with the paid version really wouldn't have too much impact on traffic just because you use one or the other. I always prefer to go the paid (hosting) route because you have a lot more options and less restrictions with some things.

Hosting for a single Wordpress website is so cheap these days that it would be worth the cost to have more control over your site. Plus, with the free version Wordpress can just shut your site down if they choose to do so. If that happens you would loose all your hard work.

I would go with the paid (self-hosted) version of Wordpress.

Cheers, Dean

Argus

The traffic would really not make much of a difference either way. The amount of traffic that a website would get would be dictated more by the quality of the content, SEO factors and some other things.

Just going with the free or with the paid version really wouldn't have too much impact on traffic just because you use one or the other. I always prefer to go the paid (hosting) route because you have a lot more options and less restrictions with some things.

Hosting for a single Wordpress website is so cheap these days that it would be worth the cost to have more control over your site. Plus, with the free version Wordpress can just shut your site down if they choose to do so. If that happens you would loose all your hard work.

I would go with the paid (self-hosted) version of Wordpress.

Cheers, Dean
Thank you for helping. I think I am just going to just get paid wordpress and hosting. This way I can do anything I want and have better control of the website.

Dean

Thank you for helping. I think I am just going to just get paid wordpress and hosting. This way I can do anything I want and have better control of the website.
You are welcome Argus.

I know you'll like your own self-hosted (paid) Wordpress website better. There are a lot more things that you can do going this route over going the free route. Plus it will look more professional as you would be using a domain name of your own instead of just getting a sub-domain with the free version.

Cheers, Dean

Argus

You are welcome Argus.

I know you'll like your own self-hosted (paid) Wordpress website better. There are a lot more things that you can do going this route over going the free route. Plus it will look more professional as you would be using a domain name of your own instead of just getting a sub-domain with the free version.

Cheers, Dean
Thank you for the information. I am now looking to find a good hosting for my website and with the paid hosting and wordpress I can have more than one website on most hosting plans. I think this is much better so I can also try different software for other websites I might make.

Maria Marketing

I do not think it will matter so much as far as traffic to your site is concerned but I think that using the version that you use on your own hosting and domain name will help you to be respected and trusted more. Things like those can be real important in marketing! :)

ulterios

Either one will work about the same for traffic in most situations. It's going to depend more on what you have on your site, how you promote it and if your SEO is effective.

Given a choice I would always use the .org WordPress version on my own hosting because that will gain more trust, respect and comfort among your readers and followers.

Storm

I'd always go with my own hosting and wordpress install over the free stuff. The free is ok if you don't have the cash to spend for hosting and a domain but if you can afford it then go the paid route.

Muzzamil

Hello friends. I am wondering which one will get more traffic for a website.

Wordpress free version or paid version on your own hosting? Does this matter or is it just what is on the website? I can not find a good answer in a search. Some say one and another says the other one.

Thank you
wordpress free version might have their own ads and their own name in your domain name such as wordpress.yourdomain.com. Also it is preferred to have your own hosting because it gives you more personalization. Good Luck!

Argus

wordpress free version might have their own ads and their own name in your domain name such as wordpress.yourdomain.com. Also it is preferred to have your own hosting because it gives you more personalization. Good Luck!
They can put ads on your website? Can they do this without your permission?

Muzzamil

They can put ads on your website? Can they do this without your permission?
Yes if you are using a free version of wordpress, then they put their own ads. But there is a wordpress plugin that you can install but you will still have to pay for that plugin because that plugin is not free like many other plugins that are free. That plugin is called "No-ads" if you are curious. Good Luck!

Maria Marketing

Yes if you are using a free version of wordpress, then they put their own ads. But there is a wordpress plugin that you can install but you will still have to pay for that plugin because that plugin is not free like many other plugins that are free. That plugin is called "No-ads" if you are curious. Good Luck!
Well don't they have to get your permission first before putting ads on your site? What if they put ads that are not good for your site and maybe make you look bad? That's madness!

ulterios

Well don't they have to get your permission first before putting ads on your site? What if they put ads that are not good for your site and maybe make you look bad? That's madness!
Unfortunately they do get your permission when you agree to their terms or use. Most people never read them because it's usually very long and drawn out. By agreeing to their terms you authorize the service to do many things you might not realize.

Maria Marketing

Unfortunately they do get your permission when you agree to their terms or use. Most people never read them because it's usually very long and drawn out. By agreeing to their terms you authorize the service to do many things you might not realize.
Well then I guess it is better to use your own paid hosting and wordpress so you don't have to have ads on your site that you don't want there. I guess they need some way to pay for what they are giving away free.

ulterios

Well then I guess it is better to use your own paid hosting and wordpress so you don't have to have ads on your site that you don't want there. I guess they need some way to pay for what they are giving away free.
Yes, I would always use my own hosting for my WordPress sites, not just to control the ads that are placed on it but to have more control over all aspects of the site. There are too many limits on the free WordPress version and they can even shut down/delete your website or blog at any time they want. It's usually done because some of their TOS are violated but sometimes it happens even when they aren't. They offer no real explanation as to what someone did wrong to have the site deleted.

It has never happened to me but I know some friends that had that happen and they lost everything because of it. I would never want to be in that situation.