Is it good to promote many types of products?

Maria Marketing

Hi MariaMarketing,

It is a good idea to display additional products that "go together" in order to increase your potential for conversion. I'd never recommend deviating too far in regards to the relationship between the products, however, as you have to consider the intent of the surfer when they landed on your page. If I arrive looking for a frying pan and your page also includes product listings for pots, pans, casserole dishes, etc., my mind would naturally go "Hmmm...what do we have here?" and explore further. If you have an additional product listing for, say, car floor mats, the likelihood of a surfer converting is low.

Ideally, you should consider building pages with ads "themed" around the content to improve the likelihood of a sale.
Thank you for your advice. I am still learning the right way and wrong ways to do things that work the best. :)

When you are saying "themed" do you mean to design as far as design?

It is better if you keep all the products in a same website but different pages. But do not use different websites because if you would use different websites then you would have to optimize different websites for the searching engines and that is a difficult task.
You can add the name of the products in one web page along with a short product description, that way users will be able to view/check all the products and you can add the detail of products in different web pages. You can also create the categories of products and add relevant products into the same category.
Thanks. Are you meaning to do several things that are different but to put them into a category for each like a store?

Dean

If I arrive looking for a frying pan and your page also includes product listings for pots, pans, casserole dishes, etc., my mind would naturally go "Hmmm...what do we have here?" and explore further. If you have an additional product listing for, say, car floor mats, the likelihood of a surfer converting is low.
I like this tip that you gave Maria. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a website following a link for one thing and then when I get there I see listing for things that are WAY different and not even related in any way.

This is just going to hurt their conversions. I have always tried to have similar or related listings that go with the page/item that people land on. It just makes sense to do that IMO.

JennyJ

It's probably always good to promote many different products so you are not limiting what you can offer. I think that they should be related in some way though.

Maria Marketing

It's probably always good to promote many different products so you are not limiting what you can offer. I think that they should be related in some way though.
I have decided to promote many different products but I am trying to make sure that they are all related in some close way. That way the people that might be interested in one thing might also be interested in something similar that can go with it.

JennyJ

I have decided to promote many different products but I am trying to make sure that they are all related in some close way. That way the people that might be interested in one thing might also be interested in something similar that can go with it.
That's good. I don't think that they have to be extremely related but as long as they are things that are related enough to the topic of your website that people looking for one thing might have an interest in something that has something to do with their original interest item.

Kania

I think you should promote many product types as long as you know some information about them. If you try to promote things you do not know about then people might not make purchases because they think you are not well informed.

SethTurin

Many cart and checkout products allow you to upsell / downsell different products as well. This is a very good idea.

As an example: you have a service for marketing consulting and another for SEO. Your customer knows which she needs - she has an SEO person, or does it herself, and she is only interested in marketing consulting. She purchases your marketing consulting package.

During checkout, she sees the option to add an SEO Audit for only $100 - 75% off. It is conducted alongside the marketing consulting for maximum value. Your goal, of course, is to then sell her the actual SEO package itself, which you will do after you conduct the audit.

This way, you can offer multiple services, even those that aren't necessarily related, and make sure your customer sees both and gets a special offer whenever they buy one.

Another option might be to throw in the SEO audit for free if the customer buys the "Advanced" Marketing consulting tier (a $300 value!).

Hope this helps!

Traveler

Sure it's good to promote many different things on the same website if they are related or if they are things that the people that come to your site might be interested in.

Why limit yourself to just a couple things giving you only a couple of chances for selling something?

Dean

Why limit yourself to just a couple things giving you only a couple of chances for selling something?
That's true but I have seen many people do this on their websites. There is an opportunity for additional chances for making sales that are just overlooked or not thought of.

Traveler

That's true but I have seen many people do this on their websites. There is an opportunity for additional chances for making sales that are just overlooked or not thought of.
I think that some people are only wanting to promote the bigger commission products so there are less things they promote. They don't realize that sell a lot of smaller commission products will make just as much or more money.

ulterios

I think that some people are only wanting to promote the bigger commission products so there are less things they promote. They don't realize that sell a lot of smaller commission products will make just as much or more money.
This is actually something that has always worked very well for me.

Getting a lot of smaller commissions can sometimes really add up and it's usually easier to get people to spend lower amounts of money than to make higher dollar purchases so the commissions associated with the lower dollar sales can get to add up to a nice commission income. ;)

Marcos

I think that it is good to promote as many different things as your time allows for and that you are capable of promoting well. Just do not spend too much time promoting things that are not selling or that you can not promote properly or it will affect the earnings you are making.