Is freelance writing still a good career?

I was always interested in joining freelance writing career, however, I found more big sites out there offering these services like elance, I writer and a few others but it all seems very more potential for earning money from it. Anyone here is doing as freelance writing? Do you think it's still a good career to earn money online?

ChrisBa

Freelancer writing is one of hot careers that generating money online for writers today, they are earning more $$$$ from selling articles to webmasters and marketers. I am hiring some writers to write articles for my blog (smartphone and hosting niche).

Dean

Freelance writing can be a good career if you have the skills, clients and can keep bringing new ones in. The thing is that there are so many freelance writers these days that you might have to work for almost nothing to get started and then gradually work your pricing up as you get more clients and business.

I think that if you can get in good with some regular clients then that can boost your ability to be successful more quickly. You are probably going to have to do multiple things to make good money before being able to rely on just freelance writing as a good source of income. If you are determined and work hard as well as have a little luck then you might be able to be a successful freelance writer and earn a living from it.

Cheers, Dean.

ulterios

I think that there is still a good chance to make good money at this but you would just have to work hard and get some good and consistent clients to write for. I think that just bouncing around from one job to the next and making good money at it isn't going to be easy.

One big key to success in this field would be to build up a good reputation and get the word spread about your services. If you can get a few bigger and more well know clients then that could surely help boost the possibility of making good money at freelance writing. ;)

shilpa

Yes, I'm also doing this freelance thing.

When I started I had skills but no knowledge of how to sell my skills. Then I read somewhere about writing online and blogging. I started taking lessons, read many e-books on freelance writing, and then when I felt that I was ready, I put all the knowledge to use and made decent money without breaking my back. I started with blogs, affiliate marketing, used Googke AdSense on my blogs to monetize them, and then sold my services on several writing platforms. I work on my own pace, take assignments that I like, and work happily from home with my laptop and a smartphone.

But let me tell you this thing straight, it was not easy to begin with. It needed very much labor.

So if you're willing to work hard and learn, then do it, or else do some regular jobs.

joegirl

Yes, absolutely. Freelance writing is still a great career choice. And the great thing about it is, you can decide to go fulltime or freelance part time. You can set your pay hours, and decide what you want to write on. The best strategy to freelance writing is to determine what niche you want to be established in.

JoeMilford

I love being able to set my own hours, so freelancing really does appeal to me. I am still learning and am very new to this, but in a very short period of time, I started to see my writing and endeavors pay off. Use forums like this to learn from, an be dedicated and consistent, and you will start to see the dividends trickle in.

fishmonk

Freelance writing is an excellent choice. The thing I love about it is that you can pick your jobs according to your liking. However, you need to identify and capitalise on the certain niche which you are good in. You will need to be patient if you are beginner as the money will take some time to trickle in.

vinaya

I have been doing freelance writing since a long time. I started with print newspaper than moved to online writing. In my experience freelance writing is a lucrative career, however, there are many disadvantages as well. For example, availability of work, reliable clients, good payment. If you do freelance writing you might be frustrated at a time because writing work is not always available, you cannot find too many reliable clients and finding high paying writing jobs is really difficult.

augusta

yes, you can still take writing as a career. Good writers are making $$$ every now and then.Infact ,A friend resigned from her regular job months back to start writing online and because she is good,she is always busy with jobs.

writing need one to be skillful,so you need to sharpen your skills and you'll be good to go.

Lee Ann Hargrave

I was always interested in joining freelance writing career, however, I found more big sites out there offering these services like elance, I writer and a few others but it all seems very more potential for earning money from it. Anyone here is doing as freelance writing? Do you think it's still a good career to earn money online?

I have been writing freelance for about 5 months now and I'm doing pretty well. Some of the sites are a little hard to get up on the list but if you work your payments low enough to get some experience points on the site, you should be fine to alter it after a while. BTW, I love doing this for a living now. Working at home is great and I can spend more time with my granddaughter!

PedroP

Personally, i have tried to walk down this road and I have to say it's a hard one. Mostly it's because it's a very competitive field of work and unless you're very good at what you do or provide a completely unique service you will have a hard time fitting in. It's particularly hard for me because English is not my first language,

alexanderzx360

It definitely is! In fact last year new websites opened that offered a type of marketplace and custom job hirer for both people looking to work as a writer, and people in need of writers. These websites are great for freelancer because they can either publish whatever they want to write about, or just look for specific subjects that other people need.

Also you can just offer your services and wait for people to specifically hire you, but yes, freelancing is still a good online career

Eli Maximilien

Freelance writing is still a great option. However, the challenge involves staying motivated and staying educated. You must keep up with change and not let it run past you. You must hone your writing skills as well.

It's also easier in this day and age to be a freelance writer. Before the internet, you actually had to go and look for work. Now you can just open your laptop and get to work.

I encourage you to get started and stay ahead. "Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today."

TheArticulate

Freelance writing is still a great option. However, the challenge involves staying motivated and staying educated. You must keep up with change and not let it run past you. You must hone your writing skills as well.

It's also easier in this day and age to be a freelance writer. Before the internet, you actually had to go and look for work. Now you can just open your laptop and get to work.

I encourage you to get started and stay ahead. "Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today."
To add to this, in today's world, it's increasingly important that writers do exactly what you recommend: to stay ahead of the curve and hone their writing skills. Because it's so much easier to find writing jobs online, more and more people are taking advantage of the opportunity, and as a result, the pay for entry level writing jobs (especially freelance gigs a lot of time) are pretty low in comparison to other avenues, I feel.

If you're up to par with your writing and the content you generate is unique and attractive, you'll have a much easier time finding and maintaining clients as well as potentially charging a higher price for your services.

iamchenita

Freelance writing career is a good career to earn money online for the fact that this type of career is a good job.
I can suggest you to sign up on Upwork.com! This site is a freelancer website where you can earn money online by just submitting a proposal to a client who needs a freelancer writer and you can search thousands jobs available for freelancer writing.
The payment here is through paypal so don't worry if the client doesn't paid you yet because Upwork has a secure payment method and they will really pay you accordingly to the price you agreed with the client.
Also don't limit your self to work on online job. You can work as a freelance writer part-time and have a totally actual job in a company where you can get really the money/payment and you can be promoted as well if you are having a good job.
Good luck in your career and be positive as always! :)

Catherine1

I met a woman online that is a freelance writer and she says that she can make a good income from it but you have to sometimes work real hard to get enough new customers to keep the money coming in.

These days it's very competitive because of the large number of freelance writers so it's not that easy many times she says.

jeanette30

Yes of course, one of the most job online is freelancing and I believe this career is a very good thing to do online. Specially if you have a lot of skill and abilities to share and use in this industry. Freelance jobs for me is a good career since you will be working at home for a period of time and that would lessen your possible outflow of money.

DenisMNE

Very much agreed on that!
I am about to try to start a career in freelancing and I will let you know how does it go.
I am sure freelancing will be around for years.
There are many subjects to cover, many unexplored ones so picking what you should write about is going to be a huge hit.

ion

I think not. Well, just for me. Being freelancer writer is just more on additional income for me or extra income. Because you don't get an stable income from being freelancer writer. Sometimes you have a clients sometimes none. Maybe if that is your passion and you really wanted to earn from that, maybe there's possibilities.