Is FREE Directories still effective?

Layn

Just having a list of free directories, should I submit my blog to them?

Are directories still the source of generating traffic to your websites?

elcidofaguy

I personally would not bother... Its 2015 and not 2005 and a such Google has a really good handle on detecting unnatural link building.... Links from directories are easy to get and its obvious everyone who places a link is attempting to game the SERPs... In addition a page with lots of links on it is less effective when it comes to link juice equity... In addition when was the last time you saw a directory ranking on the serps? The dont and as such they get zero relevant traffic.... Basically these are junk links which do nothing or worse can contribute to a penalty e.g. penguin...

That said there are some whom swear by directories... However the only directories worth considering are high quality ones whereby you have to submit an application for review and approval... Personally I would not bother...

Directory Submission is basically the procedure of submitting or listing your website in the apt sub-category of a directory. Directory Submission can be done safely by following certain steps; and first and foremost step is to submit the website in the correct and most relevant sub-category.

ulterios

Most directories are not going to generate a large amount of traffic for your website but there are some that can be helpful in one way or another, especially if they are from good quality and high authority directories.

The directories that basically automatically approve or approve any website submitted should probably be avoided. Look for directories that have more quality listings and are manual approval for websites. Not that all of these are better but it can weed out some of the junk directories. ;)

Dean

As long as the directories are good authority directories then they should be good. Just stay away from those low quality and cheap spammy web directories!

Cheers, Dean.

Storm

Based on what I have read I think that as long as the directory is a good one that isn't just a bunch of junk then they can be effective. You just want to make sure the directory is a good one before submitting your website.

Dean

Now a days I am not using all types of directory except like that dmoz and yahoo directory, what do you think ?
Those are good directories to get your website listed in but they can be a little hard to get accepted for some websites. I think that as long as you are doing directory submission to good quality directories then they will help your website, even if it's only a little.

Cheers, Dean.

Storm

Free directories can be good but it will probably be better to just worry about quality and not cost. Moz used to be good years ago but I don't know if it still is or not. Years ago moz was not too hard to get your website into unless it was complete junk. These days I heard it's harder but I don't know for sure that it's true.