Is curated content good or bad?

Marcos

I see these days that there are many websites that are posting what is being called "curated content" and it's just posts and information that they got from another website and put it on theirs.

When I had websites a few years ago this was not always acceptable but these days it seems like people now accept it.

What do you think about curated content?

Catherine1

I don't like it unless it's just someone giving a headline and maybe a couple brief posts about the subject. I think that if you can't provide your own unique content for your website then you shouldn't have one.

Maria Marketing

I think that it's ok as long as they have permission from the source of the content or it's from a source that is known to be ok with it like the news websites from the national and international regulars.

I would not like it if someone just copied things from my website verbatim and I was unaware or it and had not approved of it being done. If I do the work to write articles then why should someone get to steal them just because they can?

Dean

Like most people who write and create their own content I am not a fan of people using my content without permission. I have been asked a few times before and I had no problem with it because the people had come to me before they used my content.

If someone is willing to do things the right way then I am usually happy to work with them.

Marcos

Well my friends I think that we all feel the same way about this. Thank you all for the replies that you have given.

I just wanted to see what others thought about this because this was not always accepted in the past.

Dean

Well my friends I think that we all feel the same way about this. Thank you all for the replies that you have given.

I just wanted to see what others thought about this because this was not always accepted in the past.
It's not that more people accept it these days but more like they know that there is not much that you can do to stop it. If someone is going to use your content there isn't much that can really be done so you just have to live with it for the most part.

Traveler

When I had some websites long ago it was not a good thing but these days I think that it's generally accepted at least if it isn't an exact copy of your stuff.

Marcos

When I had some websites long ago it was not a good thing but these days I think that it's generally accepted at least if it isn't an exact copy of your stuff.
Many things that used to be bad in the past are now being considered as acceptable and some of these things should not be accepted. Not much that we can do about it I think.

JennyJ

I am ok with other people using some of my content under one or two conditions. First, if they only use part of it as kind of a snippet and then give credit to be or my blog for the original content. Secondly, if they use part of the content and then put a link to my blog to read the whole post or page.

As long as myself or my blog are getting credit given then I am ok with it because that's better than they just stealing the content word for word and putting it on their site.

Dean

As long as myself or my blog are getting credit given then I am ok with it because that's better than they just stealing the content word for word and putting it on their site.
That's a good way to look at it and that's about the same with me. Since we really can't do a whole lot to stop it then at least if credit is given I can be ok with that much.

JennyJ

That's a good way to look at it and that's about the same with me. Since we really can't do a whole lot to stop it then at least if credit is given I can be ok with that much.
Well it's either that or sit around trying to figure out how to get them to stop doing it. I heard that there is a way to file something with Google to get things that are copied removed but I don't know if it's true or not. It's not worth wasting time over I guess.

Dean

Well it's either that or sit around trying to figure out how to get them to stop doing it. I heard that there is a way to file something with Google to get things that are copied removed but I don't know if it's true or not. It's not worth wasting time over I guess.
Yeah there is but I have know people that have tried without any success. These days it's better to just worry about promoting your site and building it up rather then to fight what is usually an impossible battle.

Kania

I think you can file a DMCA complaint to Google for this. That is what I have read some people do for other things like software and images so your content I think is the same as these.

I see this topic on the game and software forums a lot.

JennyJ

I think you can file a DMCA complaint to Google for this. That is what I have read some people do for other things like software and images so your content I think is the same as these.

I see this topic on the game and software forums a lot.
Yeah I have heard something about that too. I saw it on the bottom of Google search results in the past.

Kania

I don't know how to do it but they probably have instructions when you try to submit the notice.

ulterios

Curated content is more widely accepted now than in the past so there isn't much that you can do about it other than hope that the site that is "Curating" your content is at least giving some kind of link to where they got the content or giving credit in some way.

Marcos

Curated content is more widely accepted now than in the past so there isn't much that you can do about it other than hope that the site that is "Curating" your content is at least giving some kind of link to where they got the content or giving credit in some way.
I was just reading more on this matter and it appears that it is more easily accepted in these days now. I was reading that there are methods that many websites use to curate their content and then credit the sources and that is considered fine.