Ideal Length of A Blog Post?

Martin Kahn

What will be the ideal length for a blog post for SEO?

500 or 1000 word article will be good or easy to get higher rankings on SERPs?

why?

MidnightAngel

When I write my blogs, I normally keep them between 300-500 words, because they aren't personal blogs. On my own blogs it varies, and depends on what I'm writing about. Some are longer and some are shorter. But I also think that 500-700 words is a pretty good blog, not too long that someone gets bored and not too short that someone just skims it and moves one. Just my humble opinion. :)

Mark007

Ideal blog post length should not vary too less or too high. Too less will create incomplete information and it will be regarded as spam. To big a content will bore your blog readers and the main motive for the post will not be shared among readers. Therefore the ideal word count should be between 300 to 500 will ensure good writing skills and also help to optimize better in search engines.

I get put off by long blog posts, there is too much to read, haha. make sure you get the point across without blabbering away. People like concise, to the point posts.

PTTed

What will be the ideal length for a blog post for SEO?

500 or 1000 word article will be good or easy to get higher rankings on SERPs?

why?

For SEO purposes - longer is better every time as long as you aren't just throwing junk on the page.

For quality purposes - make it as long as it needs to be for the people you are trying to attract to the site. If your site is an information based site that is trying to educate people, then your posts should probably be pretty long. They could easily exceed 1,000 words and some could get run into several thousand words. If your website is more for entertainment than education, then your visitors probably won't want to read really long articles. They would probably quit part way through.

So, depending on the type of site you are running, I would adjust accordingly. Put yourself in the shoes of the people you want to attract to your site.

ulterios

This is all going to depend on what exactly the blog post is about. Posts that are reviews as an example should be longer. I'd say 700+ words. Posts that are how-to's don't always require that many words to get the proper information to the reader.

There is no set number of words but of course the longer the batter as long as it's good writing and not just rambling on to reach a high amount of words. ;)

Dean

Most of my regular blog posts are around 1000 words or more. There are some exceptions from time to time but this is the range that most of my blog posts fall in or around. This isn't particularly something that I shoot for but it's just how things usually work out.

I would recommend having your blog posts at 500 words or more. You don't have to do that for all blog posts and there will even be a certain type of blog posts that really don't need to be in this range to be good.

One thing that you don't want is to have a site filled with many extremely low word count blog posts. Quality will help your blog and it's posts rank better.

Cheers, Dean.

Maria Marketing

You do not want to make them too short because that usually means that you are trying to skimp on time and efforts and it usually shows. I think a minimum should be at least 5oo words but more is better as long as you don't over do it to the point that people never finish reading your posts.

Ben

I don't think that you should have a set amount of words that you try to put into each blog post. I think that you should just worry about saying all that needs to be said and provide all information that is relevant and just leave it at that. Just so long as they are not super short or just junk then you should be fine.

Storm

I think that the ideal length for a blog post should be whatever is needed to provide and say all that you need to so that the post looks good and not cheap plus says what the post should say about the topic.

KeralMTG

I see many people saying that blog posts should be at minimum 500 words so that should be good but more words will probably be for the better.

matteomatt

It seems that posts with 1000+ words rank better, because they allow for more long tail keywords to naturally occur. I can validate that in a niche I am going for, top rankers have long posts.

However, the people above who said that lots of people don't have that kind of attention span are right. If you plan to write a long blog post, makes use of bullet points as well as big headers to break up the text and make it more likely for them to read it.

Part of it depends on the type of post. If it is a post designed to be informative it can be good to make it high quality, lengthy content.

Traveler

I think that longer blog posts will be better because you can have ranking for more keywords. If the blog post is too short then that can limit the rankings for the post. I always try to get close to 1000 words but usually I wind up in 600-700 words range.

Catherine1

I think that the more words are in your posts then you will have better chances that people will go and visit your blog. Just don't make them too long or people will probably not finish them since people are wanting to do everything quickly these days.