How much are you willing to pay per 1000 impressions?

amtwebsite

Hey,
When you buy a banner ad or text ad, how much are you willing to pay per 1000 impressions (CPM) ? Does CPM work better than PPC?
I want to know to try an advertising campaign for my site.

About $0.50 at the most. I personally won't buy impressions because it is an expensive way to advertise with not a whole lot of click thrus. I prefer to buy time or clicks instead of impressions. You can figure about a 0.06% click thru rate for impressions for banners etc. I look long term for banner advertising to brand, but it has to be time slots instead of impressions. Even then the site needs be relevant to the ad to have lots of page views to make it even worthwhile to buy the time.

Last edited:
impressions have gone the way of the dodo, clicks are honestly on their way out as well, while many companies still use them, paying for a block of time such as 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, etc are becoming more and more the standard in advertising, look at buysellads they mostly use time period ads, also such as IMS here, uses time period ads, such as for 1 month.

There is no value in impressions, as bots and crawlers can waste those impressions, and those with rotating proxies as well. Most people that run a rotating proxy have cookie killers installed in their browser.

To answer your question, the most I would pay for 1000 impressions is maybe 5 cents.

elasticcat

impressions have gone the way of the dodo, clicks are honestly on their way out as well, while many companies still use them, paying for a block of time such as 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, etc are becoming more and more the standard in advertising, look at buysellads they mostly use time period ads, also such as IMS here, uses time period ads, such as for 1 month.

There is no value in impressions, as bots and crawlers can waste those impressions, and those with rotating proxies as well. Most people that run a rotating proxy have cookie killers installed in their browser.

To answer your question, the most I would pay for 1000 impressions is maybe 5 cents.
I agree with you, go with CPM you need to have high budget, for example high traffic site you can pay immediately $1 for 1000 impressions, just in 1 second for 1000 impressions.

I'm a fan of BuySellAds. I have a few campaigns on it. I also have a banner ad here on IMS. All are time slots. I have a campaign on adwords and use their target website placement which is where most clicks come from. I don't pay enough per click to get many search engine impressions and clicks, but the targeting for websites works pretty well at a low average CPC.

Dean

The amount that an advertiser is willing to pay will greatly depend on what your site is about and if it's a good fit for their advertising needs, as well as the amount of traffic that your site gets.

A site that is more busy with higher traffic numbers will typically be able to get more money for CPM ads.

Cheers, Dean

davidfranco

I'm a fan of BuySellAds. I have a few campaigns on it. I also have a banner ad here on IMS. All are time slots. I have a campaign on adwords and use their target website placement which is where most clicks come from. I don't pay enough per click to get many search engine impressions and clicks, but the targeting for websites works pretty well at a low average CPC.
For me, I am not a fan of BuySellAds because the pricing of banner ads there are very high, you can pay hundreds of dollars for each banner monthly. I would go with Adwords, Social and forum ad.
Where did you get this price? it's pretty high for average rate for each CPM.

ulterios

A lot of times CPM will be a better option than PPC, but only if the place where the ads are is a real good fit for what is being advertised. If you are selling movie DVD's on your site and you buy ad space/service on a movie review site then CPM might be better than PPC advertising.

It all depends on how targeted the audience is in relation to what the advertisement is about...

ProfMike

I have used both methods PPC and CPM for many years. I have found that I always, without fail, get a better rate of return when I stick with PPC.

Over the last couple years I have gotten completely away from paying for impressions, as has been stated earlier, unless you find a really good fit with the site it is too difficult to get a good return on that investment.

Some of the CPM rates have gone completely crazy over the last year or two. On some of the networks that I use for advertising I have seen rates as high as $7.00 per 1000. That is flat insane.

Even if you get a good CTR with that type of cost unless you are closing about 50% of those, which is dam near impossible, you are really not going top make much money.

Dean

unless you find a really good fit with the site it is too difficult to get a good return on that investment.
Very true Mike! I don't think a lot of people realize that you can't just advertise everywhere you want when using CPM advertising. You have to make real sure that you are advertising on a very well targeted audience. Many people think "Hey, this site gets a lot of traffic, let's advertise there", and it doesn't usually pay off.

Some of the CPM rates have gone completely crazy over the last year or two.
I noticed that myself when looking at some rates a few months back from 2013 and 2014 and then now on certain sites. Many cases the rates were 3-5 times what they were then, and some more.

I don't know if people are pay those rates or if the site owner/operator is just wanting to hit it big with a few steady advertisers that don't pay attention to all the data. Crazy!

Cheers, Dean

ProfMike

I don't know if people are pay those rates or if the site owner/operator is just wanting to hit it big with a few steady advertisers that don't pay attention to all the data. Crazy!

When the rates reach a point where it seems the administrator has put dollars ahead of a good offering I will no longer do business with that site, I don't care how well established they are. As quickly as they went up they can come down. The only way that will occur is for advertisers to hold there ground on what they will pay.

Dean

When the rates reach a point where it seems the administrator has put dollars ahead of a good offering I will no longer do business with that site, I don't care how well established they are.
I agree with you Mike. These days it seems like most site owners or admins only care about making as much money as possible without caring about what they are offering. They don't realize that staying in business online with a site that will have continued success requires them to actually care about what they offer and how they take care of all aspects of online business.

They don't seem to plan and think for the future, only right now!

Cheers, Dean