How long does it take to move cpanel accounts

Traveler

I think I might move to a new hosting service and I see that some of the hosting companies will move your cpanel account for free. Does anyone know how long this can take? I asked some live chat and they say it depends on how busy but they will not give any kind of answer.

ulterios

I think I might move to a new hosting service and I see that some of the hosting companies will move your cpanel account for free. Does anyone know how long this can take?
This is something that is all going to depend on the tech support at the host themselves and not really a matter of much else. Some hosts get lots of transfers from other hosts and they don't have enough tech's to cover the demand instantly which is why it takes longer at some than others. It should be less than a day at most at most of the hosts though.

I asked some live chat and they say it depends on how busy but they will not give any kind of answer.
Well a lot of hosts (and other businesses) do not like to give a more exact answer because if for some reason it doesn't get done in the time they stated they don't want you to be upset or feel like you liked. There are some different factors that come into play when moving a cPanel account so it's going to be hard for many hosts to give a more exact time frame.

Dean

I have seen it only take a couple of hours with some hosts. I think that how long the move takes is going to depend more on the host themselves and what their customer support is like.

Cheers, Dean.

KeralMTG

I have some friends that did this to their blogs and it took less than a day so that it should not take longer than this.

Waqass

For transferring of data its matter of minutes as it is done through the CPanel FTP transfer tool. However if you want to move WordPress based site then this might require some configuration changes to the config file which might take time. But for a small website its not more than a matter of few minutes.

Dean

For transferring of data its matter of minutes as it is done through the CPanel FTP transfer tool. However if you want to move WordPress based site then this might require some configuration changes to the config file which might take time. But for a small website its not more than a matter of few minutes.
I did not know there was a special cPanel FTP transfer tool, thanks for the information. Is that faster than the normal FTP method?

Waqass

I did not know there was a special cPanel FTP transfer tool, thanks for the information. Is that faster than the normal FTP method?
Just go to CPanel and then backup Wizard. Just select full backup and you will be asked to transfer using Remote FTP Server. Just give your FTP credentials of the other server. The speed will depend upon the port speed of both servers. If both have 1 Gbps ports then you will get 1 Gbps. This is fast ........real fast! at least faster than my DSL connection :)

Dean

Just go to CPanel and then backup Wizard. Just select full backup and you will be asked to transfer using Remote FTP Server. Just give your FTP credentials of the other server. The speed will depend upon the port speed of both servers. If both have 1 Gbps ports then you will get 1 Gbps. This is fast ........real fast! at least faster than my DSL connection :)
Wow, thanks for the information. That's fast! I wouldn't mind having a connection like that! :Dancing2:

I never really checked into it and always did separate website backups so I never looked into full backups.