How long does it take for your hosting to support tickets?

ChrisBa

I am using a shared hosting but sometime I must wait some hours to have the support via tickets

what about your web hosting? How long does it take for your hosting to support tickets?

In case you are a buyer or a web hosting provider

RDO Servers

You definitely should not have to wait hours to get a response from support.

We reply to all tickets within 30 minutes, max, with a resolution within 6 hours. Of course, some issues take more time than other, but most of our tickets are resolved within 2 hours.

If it takes your hosting provider several hours to even reply to a ticket, I would start looking at alternatives.

Hostlumina

It will depend per host. Some will have replies within 5 minutes or less and some a 24 hour reply. Have you gone over what your host has as an SL for support tickets? (do they advertise a 15-30 minute reply guarantee)

Are the tickets requiring any complicated tasks? If so, is your host even letting you know they are working on the ticket at least without making you wait hours and hours to confirm the task is completed?

To answer you:

Personally, I have had hosts in the past reply to me within 2 minutes to up to approximately 2 - 7 hours with clear updates as to why or what's happening with my request, and even up to 24 hours due to a major outage causing thousands of accounts to go down and their support getting hammered.

As a host, we aim at 45 minutes (to have a buffer) or less. However, the majority of the replies are within 10-30 minutes. We know the importance and aside the 30 minute goal we have internal service levels (i.e. opened to fix service level average, etc...).

You definitely should not have to wait hours to get a response from support.

We reply to all tickets within 30 minutes, max, with a resolution within 6 hours. Of course, some issues take more time than other, but most of our tickets are resolved within 2 hours.

If it takes your hosting provider several hours to even reply to a ticket, I would start looking at alternatives.

I personally wouldn't jump the gun and advice to look at a new provider. We do not know if the OP is currently not content, causing major issues (not all support tickets mean a site is down), what his paying for his service, what guarantee the host has offered him and agreed too, etc...

His host might just be slow at replying "sometimes" as stated but if he is okay with this I do not think there is a need to encourage to pursue a new host until he seeks for such info...

RDO Servers

I understand your point, but still disagree.

We do not know if the OP is currently not content, causing major issues (not all support tickets mean a site is down), what his paying for his service, what guarantee the host has offered him and agreed too, etc...

I don't think this should matter. Sure, we receive tickets for simple issues that a customer should be able to do themselves, tickets that don't even make sense, and tickets for request that are outside of the scope of our support. Even in these cases, it should not take hours to respond to a ticket.

His host might just be slow at replying "sometimes" as stated but if he is okay with this I do not think there is a need to encourage to pursue a new host until he seeks for such info...

Sometimes things happen and fall through the cracks, but this should be rare. If a host takes hours to respond to a normal ticket, I would not wait around to see if their support is better once the site goes offline.

Even if their TOS only guarantees a response within several hours, you cannot accuse them of failing to provide the services they are supposed to, but from a industry standard perspective, I would still consider this sub-par.

Just my opinion. Maybe I just take quality support too seriously.

And no, I'm not just trying to get more business for myself. I just don't like seeing people put up with poor service and support when there are so many other better options out there. @Hostlumina, @ElixantTechnology, @MightWeb and others provide great services which far exceed that of the big name providers that seem to care more about their bottom line.

Hostlumina

And no, I'm not just trying to get more business for myself. I just don't like seeing people put up with poor service and support when there are so many other better options out there.

Just to be clear, I nowhere stated/mentioned you where looking to get more business. I know you didn't state I did but what to clear that up as it comes up that way indirectly upon reading it (IMO).

For the rest... Yes, it shouldn't take hours to reply (never said it was okay) and i think many here and other forums are very customer service oriented hosts, however we do not know anything about the host. What if the host actually advertises replies to tickets within 24 hours with a specific plan or all plans? Should we tell everyone to drop them because that is what is offered at X amount of money within the clients budget? I just don't like to go on assumptions that's all. There are a few hosts out there with very very low prices with minimal to no support and it's clearly advertised. Their market is very different.

Also, We don't know what kind of support OP required. Agreed, regardless the ticket (related to hosting or not) it should be answered within acceptable time. However, we need to keep in mind we don't know the size of the host and if there was a major outage and an influx in volumes will happen and response time will be higher. If this is happening often then agreed, there is an issue within their business that needs to be addressed and that is up to the OP to decide his next steps.

All I am saying is that we shouldn't jump the gun. The OP is just inquiring what the response is from other users here and not if he should jump ship. Nobody is questioning anyone's customer service or dedication to it. Believe me I am dedicated to customer services to the core and it drives me bunkers when this part of a business is lacking :)

We can all agree that hours and hours to reply to a ticket is unacceptable but IMO we shouldn't also be telling him to drop the host without further information or without knowing that's what he wants to do. That's all :)

Now... how about those response times from everyone? :p

I understand your point, but still disagree.

I don't think this should matter. Sure, we receive tickets for simple issues that a customer should be able to do themselves, tickets that don't even make sense, and tickets for request that are outside of the scope of our support. Even in these cases, it should not take hours to respond to a ticket.

Sometimes things happen and fall through the cracks, but this should be rare. If a host takes hours to respond to a normal ticket, I would not wait around to see if their support is better once the site goes offline.

Even if their TOS only guarantees a response within several hours, you cannot accuse them of failing to provide the services they are supposed to, but from a industry standard perspective, I would still consider this sub-par.

Just my opinion. Maybe I just take quality support too seriously.

And no, I'm not just trying to get more business for myself. I just don't like seeing people put up with poor service and support when there are so many other better options out there. @Hostlumina, @ElixantTechnology, @MightWeb and others provide great services which far exceed that of the big name providers that seem to care more about their bottom line.

david smith

The reply that one will receive the support ticket depends on the web host and their support team. If there is an SLA that the web host follows then usually with the stated time users would receive an initial response on the ticket. If the issue is huge, then the resolution will take some time.

ulterios

Most of the time my support tickets for my web hosting are replied to in 10-20 minutes. There are times that it takes a little longer but those longer times are few and far between.

I think that hours is way too long. What if you have an ecommerce website and it's down for hours at a time waiting for support from your web host?

You can lose a lot of money sometimes, especially if it happens at the busy times of day.

Kania

My web hosting support tickets used to take very long. Many were half a day or more but now they only take 1-2 hours. It seems like that is longer than many though.

Dean

I have web hosting services with a couple of different web hosting providers and one takes usually 15-20 minutes for support tickets to be answered. It is sometimes longer but not too often and it's always never much longer than that.

The others are longer, usually an hour or so. It's not bad but could be improved but I understand because they are smaller web hosting companies and don't have the support staff that the bigger ones do and that's fine for my needs.