How I can test Web-Host provider speed?

DDSVPSHOST

I got this question from a friend yesterday and thought sharing here could help other readers know what to look out for?

"I am using a shared host for my asp.net web application and I want to take a speed test for my host speed not application. I need a program or consol to be able to do that? how I can use thease kind of programs ?

My site is slow and my applications are simple basic web apps.

Possible Response:

It could be speed, CPU power provided by the web host or Internet access latency / bandwidth which isn't suitable enough.

Any other useful explanation is welcomed.

elcidofaguy

Other thing to think about:

1) Server build i.e. does it include modules for caching, multi-threading, image compression such as gzib...
2) Database - Optimization with careful use of indexing as well as re-writing SQL statements etc..
3) Other - Consider use of CDN, browser caching etc..

As its on a shared server - I would consider moving to a VPS as that way you can be sure that the allocated RAM, bandwidth etc is only for your website and therefore it wont be effected when other sites gain an increase load...

hmb-robert

In a shared hosting server resources are always shared to all clients so if you want a high speed site please move your site to VPS or a Dedicated server. in shared server you can check the speed of your site in live speed test. if you google it you will find number of live speed test providers.

unixguru

In most instances, VPSs are also shared but give your greater freedom in what software and configuration you have.
(i.e. multiple VPSs share the same host, so if the host sells more CPU to their customers than they have this can cause issues).
If you want a guaranteed performance level, you need to have dedicated equipment.

With regards to testing the hosts speed.

Write two simple programs.

1) Something which uses little CPU time and reports back a small amount of text.
2) Something which uses a large amount of CPU time and reports back an answer.

The first will show latency, and you can benchmark the latter against your workstation to see what CPU performance or share you are getting.

david smith

Different factors influence the speed of servers; some of the factors are specifications for the servers, bandwidth available, the threshold of the resource limitation, etc. The website that one wants to host on the web hosting plan must be optimised. Using many methods like ping or GTmetrix one can measure the speed of the website. For measuring the speed of the server/hosting plan ask the support of the hosting provider to give a test IP. Ping this IP and check the results, but the actual speed that one may get in the web hosting plan can differ from the speed of the test IP.