How does someone become a good writer?

snginc

Hello guys,

I will be leaving college soon and I hope to become an online writer. A number of my fellow students are already making good money writing for online forums, blogs and sites such as iwriter.

In your opinion, how should I go about becoming a good writer?

Any suggestions and advice will be welcome. Thanks.

dezfutak

Hi @snginc,

- First of all, determine if you will be a full time writer or a part timer while doing other jobs.
- Second, choose a niche you would like to specialize in and study that niche through e-books, blogs, forums, websites, social media flora and read books.
- Third, take as many tests as you can find online in the language you hope to write in. Work on improving the areas you fail and always strive to go to the next level in the tests.
- Forth, put up a site where you show case the kind of articles and stories you are capable of writing.
- Fifth, join sites such as iwriter and write informative articles on forums such as The Internet Marketing Star where you will offer your writing services and give links to your own site so that prospective clients can see your work.
- Sixth, do a lot of writing continuously and maintain a schedule to give you discipline.

Last edited by a moderator:

MidnightAngel

I agree with dezfutak....all are valid ways to become a writer. But my suggestion also is to read ALOT...now I know some peoples schedules will not allow for that much leisure time, so audiobooks would be the way to go. Write what you think someone would like to read, what you'd like to read, and from your experiences, then take it from there.

Last edited:

SilentThief

I know this is going to sound off, but start reading the dictionary. The reason is because it will improve your vocabulary, which will allow you to use more sophisticated words rather than just the everyday English that we all hear. Many people do this, including the rapper and recording artist, Eminem, as it helps him to make songs.

MidnightAngel

I know this is going to sound off, but start reading the dictionary. The reason is because it will improve your vocabulary, which will allow you to use more sophisticated words rather than just the everyday English that we all hear. Many people do this, including the rapper and recording artist, Eminem, as it helps him to make songs.

Very good idea! Yes, that would be a good way to improve on your vocabulary. I like the grammar books that are out there as well. Anytime I see some sort of text book, or reference book regarding English, I pick it up. They really are wonderful references .

SilentThief

Very good idea! Yes, that would be a good way to improve on your vocabulary. I like the grammar books that are out there as well. Anytime I see some sort of text book, or reference book regarding English, I pick it up. They really are wonderful references .
I have never really read any grammar books nor seen any. However, if they help, I am glad they can assist you!