Getting rewarded a project freelancing

MidnightAngel

Okay, here's a good one: I was hired by someone on freelancer to work on their project, but I never bid on it. The person said he went through my profile, and thought I would be a good fit for what he was looking for. I have to deny or accept the position, and it seems legit, and something I could do with no problem. What are the red flags that I should look for before engaging in this project for this person? Anyone have ideas and/or tips for this newbie freelancer?

I posted this on the other forum too, as I was thinking which one would be a better place, but couldn't decide. so it's on WMS also...lol

RDO Servers

People can select to work with a specific freelancer. As long as everything still goes through freelancer, and escrow if funded, I would go for it.

sam.hunt0710

Some time people who want to hire search for good service providers and send them invitations so that they can bid on there project.

Before getting hired ask your client to release atleast 50% upfront payment or ask him to do escrow payment.

Before starting any project sort it out first what is actual work and what you will provide .

So there must be no miscommunication between you and client.

Reactions: ims

MidnightAngel

Which freelancer site you are talking about ?

Freelancer[.]com

So here's an update, I think I might pull out and get my fee reimbursed. I created the website for him, no problem because I love playing with graphics. After I got it all set, he said that the next thing to do is open merchant accounts using my name, the business name I chose, my home address and my phone number. At that point I stopped. I am supposed to be a 'virtual assistant' and help with emails, sales emails, marketing, and the like, no where does my home address or phone number do anyone any good. So I nicely told him that I was not comfortable with that, and if I were an assistant/receptionist/order taker etc. at his physical gallery none of my personal information would be needed as well.

What do you guys think? Was that a red flag? And was I right to question it? I think so, but thought I'd share and get your opinions.

These sites are quite safe. If you ever do run into problems, their team will sort it out for you. They are used to dealing with things like this. You could message them and ask them :)

MidnightAngel

Thank you, I did so, and let them know the situation. Hopefully, they can reimburse the fee that was taken since I"m rejecting the project.