General question re: Skype

MidnightAngel

Okay, so I've decided to sign up for the Skype that came with my computer, but I think it's useless because I don't have a webcam or a microphone. Are both of these needed for Skype?

Hostlumina

As mentioned you can use it like a "chat" tool and you can always add a webcam down the road (many web cams now come with a mic built in).

Skype is a great tool and just keep in mind that there many employers out there and businesses who will request meetings via Skype and will request them to be video conferences. So as a freelancer yourself it might not be a bad idea to write it down as an investment down the road.

There are good places online where you could look at getting cameras and microphones. Quality won't matter too much, but make sure they are of a good quality so that you know they will be reliable for Skype meetings with employers :) So, basically ones that will break easily would not be advised.

MidnightAngel

Awesome, I've never used skype, so I didn't know that I could use it for text chat only...That's great. I hope to get a web cam sometime in the future as well as a microphone, we have an old one, from years ago but I don't even know where it is.

Hostlumina

Awesome, I've never used skype, so I didn't know that I could use it for text chat only...That's great. I hope to get a web cam sometime in the future as well as a microphone, we have an old one, from years ago but I don't even know where it is.
Awesome stuff! Hope you enjoy the benefits of skype! it really is a good tool to have.

MidnightAngel

Well, I had my first skype experience last night, chat only, and it seemed to go well. I only have one friend on skype, and that was for the interview I was doing last night. I haven't had the chance to explore it in depth, but it seems pretty good from what I've see so far, at least for the chat/text part. One day I may add some accessories to it, depending on how much I end up using it. If I only use it once in a while then the additions would be useless. But we'll see what the future holds.