Email list sharing

Traveler

I have seen some places that people are sharing or trading their email lists with other people for each to grow their own list. Is this good or bad?

Dean

I have not seen any places like that but I doubt that you will get any kind of good list that way. Who knows how many others have that exact same list promoting the same things?

Would you really want to trade your list to someone else so that they may benefit from your work building it?

These are just some things to think about before doing this.

ulterios

I have to agree with Dean on this one. I really don't see how this can be of much overall benefit for you unless you are sharing an email list that you have no intentions of using yourself.

It would make me wonder just how many other people are using and most likely, over-using any list that you would get and that will probably mean the list will have extremely low success.

KeralMTG

I never seen these kinds of places. How do you know the emails you get are real and not made up?

Traveler

I have not seen any places like that but I doubt that you will get any kind of good list that way. Who knows how many others have that exact same list promoting the same things?

Would you really want to trade your list to someone else so that they may benefit from your work building it?

These are just some things to think about before doing this.
I did not think of it like that. I guess it would not be nice to have someone making money off my work.

I never seen these kinds of places. How do you know the emails you get are real and not made up?
I guess I would not know. I guess you just have to hope it is a good list.

Dean

I did not think of it like that. I guess it would not be nice to have someone making money off my work.
Very true. I would understand if you were to benefit from the sharing of lists but unless you know that you are getting something of value in return then it's hard to know if you are going to gain anything.

Maybe if you could get some recommendations from someone who has used those services/sites before to verify the quality then it may be worth trying.

Traveler

Very true. I would understand if you were to benefit from the sharing of lists but unless you know that you are getting something of value in return then it's hard to know if you are going to gain anything.

Maybe if you could get some recommendations from someone who has used those services/sites before to verify the quality then it may be worth trying.
Recommendations would be nice or even some other people who have tried these kinds of services would be able to contact then I might try them. Right now I am starting to think they might be a bad idea.

Dean

Recommendations would be nice or even some other people who have tried these kinds of services would be able to contact then I might try them. Right now I am starting to think they might be a bad idea.
They may be a bad idea or they may be a good idea. The bad thing is not knowing for sure if you are getting anything of value in exchange for your list.

Maybe take a chance and see what happens and if it doesn't work out then just call it a learning experience.

Traveler

They may be a bad idea or they may be a good idea. The bad thing is not knowing for sure if you are getting anything of value in exchange for your list.

Maybe take a chance and see what happens and if it doesn't work out then just call it a learning experience.
I might take a chance just to see what happens. I am not making much from my list right now anyway.

Dean

I might take a chance just to see what happens. I am not making much from my list right now anyway.
Sounds good Traveler. Let us know how that works out for you. Good luck with the list.

Catherine1

I have not heard of these but my main concern would be wondering how to know if you are just giving away your good email list and getting junk in return.

If you knew you would get a good list then it may be something to try but how would you know?

Traveler

I have not heard of these but my main concern would be wondering how to know if you are just giving away your good email list and getting junk in return.

If you knew you would get a good list then it may be something to try but how would you know?
I do not think that we can know if it will be any good list till we try it unless we know someone who did it already and they shared the information. I am still thinking if I want to do this.

Marcos

This seems like it would be some kind of scam to get a good email list from you in exchange for a poor or overused email list from someone else.

Maria Marketing

I would be afraid that someone else would benefit from my hard work of building the list and I would not get anything good in return. I guess if you had some way to know if the list you would get was good then it would be a trade off I guess and be ok.

Traveler

This is called list swapping and it's something you should avoid doing. Agreed it's a buyers list but they have been squeezed by the seller. Best bet is to build an email list yourself using paid methods like PPC or native ads.
Then the emails have probably already been used till they do not produce anymore?

Traveler

This seems like it would be some kind of scam to get a good email list from you in exchange for a poor or overused email list from someone else.
It seems like there are many people that think this same thing. I will probably not do it unless someone has a recommendation.

Michael

I understand that there might be some benefits from swapping email lists but I would not be happy if someone was using my contacts to make money when I spent the time to make the list.

Based on what I have learned so far a good email list can be your most important asset in internet marketing so I would want to protect the information on the list and not let someone else earn from it.

Traveler

I understand that there might be some benefits from swapping email lists but I would not be happy if someone was using my contacts to make money when I spent the time to make the list.

Based on what I have learned so far a good email list can be your most important asset in internet marketing so I would want to protect the information on the list and not let someone else earn from it.
The things is my email list is not making too much money anyway so I thought this can help get more chances for making money.

Yes the list has been used before and they have been promoted with offers before. If not then why would anyone even sacrifice such list?
Maybe they just want to grow their list also. The names will not be too good I think based on thinking more about it.