Donation button by PayPal or Credit Card?

marketmongoose

Greetings Internet Marketers,

I would like to attach a donation button or a form on my site. What I have in mind is one like PayPal but I do not want the PayPal button specifically because of my own reasons.

My question is, is there any way I can receive donations with credit cards?

Can visitors make payments with credit cards on my website? How would I go about installing such a form or button?

Thank you.

Martin Kahn

This could work only if you posses a merchant account that you use to accept payments.

You could also use another person merchant account while processing your donations.

Examples include 2Checkout or other online payment processors, including Pay Pal although I do not understand why you do not like it. Because, according to me, Paypal is the most popular that webmasters and internet marketeers using it on their websites/blogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
An excellent merchang processer (the one that we hae been using for some time now) would be Stripe. I personally would not recommend 2Checkout due to some prior issues that we, and some of our affiliates have come across with them. The issue with accepting donations via. Credit Card would bee the terms and conditions of the credit card companies themselves. You will first off need to register your business, and since you are probably not operating as a charitable organization you are going to have to claim any money generated on your taxes...

In the end, the most reasonable option would be to utilize a merchant such as PayPal, or sell merchandise to support your website or movement such as T-Shirts.

nesito29

Paypal allows you to change the donation icon to basically anything you want, you can create an image with your logo and a text saying donate or something like that and when people clicks on the image get redirected to PayPal where they can start the donation process.

RDO Servers

If you want receive money with credit card on your website. You need PCI Compliant.
Not exactly true. You can accept credit card payments on your site by having the card info entered on the processors page, and not have to be PCI compliant.

Untrue; You only need to follow PCI Compliance if you are storing Credit Card and Customer information locally on your server. PCI Compliance is the standard for Web & Data Security for the system(s) that will be storing this information.

RDO Servers

Untrue; You only need to follow PCI Compliance if you are storing Credit Card and Customer information locally on your server. PCI Compliance is the standard for Web & Data Security for the system(s) that will be storing this information.

I'm afraid that is also untrue. If you process credit card payments on your website, you fall under the requirements of PCI compliance even if you do not store the data.

Q: To whom does PCI apply?
A: PCI applies to ALL organizations or merchants, regardless of size or number of transactions, that accepts, transmits or stores any cardholder data. Said another way, if any customer of that organization ever pays the merchant directly using a credit card or debit card, then the PCI DSS requirements apply

https://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/pci-faqs-2/#2

RDO Servers

This is why Paypal and other 3rd party gateways are so popular. If you have a link on your site that directs them to the processors page ti complete the transaction, then you can avoid the PCI requirements.

If the credit card info is entered, transmitted processes OR stored by your site/server, then you must be PCI compliant.

True, my bad ;) Generally it's a good idea to follow PCI Compliance anyhow.